Date:   Wed, 6 Mar 2019 20:22:21 +0000
From:   Russell King - ARM Linux admin <linux@...linux.org.uk>
To:     "Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult" <lkml@...ux.net>
Cc:     Andy Shevchenko <andy.shevchenko@...il.com>,
        Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@....com>,
        Peng Hao <peng.hao2@....com.cn>,
        Lucas Stach <l.stach@...gutronix.de>
Subject: Re: Smarter Kconfig help

On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 09:16:02PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> On 06.03.19 13:42, Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:
>
> > In case it isn't clear, this is the *exact* point here - I don't know> whether this option should be enabled for iMX6 or not, and the only>
> way I found out was to grep the dts files in arch/arm/boot/dts for> the
> driver's compatible string.  What that reveals is that *no* 32-bit> dts
> files contain the compatible string, and so I summise that *no*> 32-bit
> iMX SoC should have this driver enabled.
> The problem is a bit more generic. I often have to spend lots of time
> to find out which configs to enable on a specific board, to get certain
> features (eg. network, sata, display, gpu, ...). Even worse: many
> options require other stuff enabled before even showing up. And when
> disabling unneeded stuff, it leaves lots of other things enabled.
> (we don't have some `apt autoremove` kconfig counterpart :().
>
> I've decided to cope w/ that on a higher level and written a little
> config generator tool for that - here you can enable high level
> features (eg. 'network' or 'display', etc) and it will generate the
> actual .config:
>
> 	https://github.com/metux/kmct
>
> > The excuse that "we can't list the explicit SoCs" to me seems to be> a very lame excuse
>
> Maybe this actually means "nobody here volounteered to actually maintain
> these help texts" ?
>
> > The best that I can come up with right now, given what little I know> from grepping the 32-bit DTS files, is that the help text should at>
> least indicate that it *isn't* applicable to 32-bit SoCs, or if you>
> prefer, *is* applicable to 64-bit SoCs.  Beyond that, I have no>
> information to formulate a better suggestion.
> Perhaps just fix the text based on your knowledge and send a patch to
> the maintainers. They'll propably tell you if it's incorrect.

Frankly, no.  I don't want to be going round endlessly writing help
texts.

We need the effort to be properly distributed - we need those who
_know_ the feature they're developing to write a proper help text.
One way to achieve that is to make a proper informative help text
a pre-requisit of accepting the code.

The quality of the help text is just as important as the quality of
the code, and we really should be paying the same amount of attention
to both.

FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up