Date:   Mon, 8 Apr 2019 14:56:09 -0700
From:   Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
To:     David Hildenbrand <david@...hat.com>
Cc:     "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>,
        Nitesh Narayan Lal <nitesh@...hat.com>,
        kvm list <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-mm <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@...hat.com>, lcapitulino@...hat.com,
        pagupta@...hat.com, wei.w.wang@...el.com,
        Yang Zhang <yang.zhang.wz@...il.com>,
        Rik van Riel <riel@...riel.com>, dodgen@...gle.com,
        Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@...cle.com>,
        dhildenb@...hat.com, Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on simple scanner approach for free page hinting

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 2:21 PM David Hildenbrand <david@...hat.com> wrote:

> On 08.04.19 22:51, David Hildenbrand wrote:

> >> Ugh. Is there an official repo I am supposed to refer to for makedumpfile?
> >>
> >> As far as the changes needed I don't think this would necessitate
> >> additional exports. We could probably just get away with having
> >> makedumpfile generate a new value by simply doing an "&" of the two
> >> values to determine what an offline buddy would be. If need be I can
> >> submit a patch for that. I find it kind of annoying that the kernel is
> >> handling identifying these bits one way, and makedumpfile is doing it
> >> another way. It should have been setup to handle this all the same
> >> way.

> >> The only real pain point I am seeing right now is the assumptions
> >> makedumpfile is currently making about how mapcount is being used to
> >> indicate pagetype. If we patch it to fix it most of the other bits are
> >> minor.
> >
> > I'll be curious how splitting etc. will be handled. Especially if you
> > want to set Offline for all affected sub pages.
> >

> Answering that myself, I guess you are planning to change the buddy to
> basically copy the offline value to sub-pages when splitting, also
> attaching them to the tail of the list instead of the head.

Yes that was the ultimate plan. I'm still debating the best place to
pull it from though. For now I am looking at just sampling the Offline
value before calling del_page_from_free_area as I had that currently
clearing the Offline flag when I was clearing the buddy. Then I was
just passing that to the expand function and having it set the Offline
flag.

Since expand is only called if the lower orders are empty there isn't
any point in adding to tail since the list is empty so head == tail
anyway.