Date:   Fri, 19 Apr 2019 13:50:37 -0700
From:   Jacob Pan <jacob.jun.pan@...ux.intel.com>
To:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:     Daniel Drake <drake@...lessm.com>, Len Brown <lenb@...nel.org>,
        x86@...nel.org, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux@...lessm.com, rjw@...ysocki.net,
        "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael.j.wysocki@...el.com>,
        jacob.jun.pan@...ux.intel.com
Subject: Re: Detecting x86 LAPIC timer frequency from CPUID data

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 10:57:10 +0200 (CEST)
Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de> wrote:

> [...]
> > <tglx@...utronix.de> wrote:
> > >    Time Stamp Counter/Core Crystal Clock Information (0x15):
> > >       TSC/clock ratio = 168/2
> > >       nominal core crystal clock = 0 Hz
> > >
> > >    Processor Frequency Information (0x16):
> > >       Core Base Frequency (MHz) = 0x834 (2100)
> > >       Core Maximum Frequency (MHz) = 0xed8 (3800)
> > >       Bus (Reference) Frequency (MHz) = 0x64 (100)
> > >
> > > Assuming that TSC and local APIC timer run from the same
> > > frequency on these modern machines.
> > >
> > >        2100MHz * 2 / 168 = 25MHz
> > >
> > > and disabling the tsc deadline timer tells me:
> > >
> > >   ..... calibration result: 24999
> > >
> > > Close enough.
> >
> > I tested all the Intel SoC generations we have on hand. The
> > assumption that the core crystal clock feeds the APIC seems to be
> > consistently true.
> >
> > (Please note that all the following results are done with
> > CONFIG_HZ=250, which is why the "calibration result" is 4x higher
> > than HZ=1000 as used in previous mails)
> >
> > In the easy case, the low cost platforms do not support CPUID.0x16
> > (so no CPU frequency reporting), but they do tell us the core
> > crystal clock, which is consistent with the APIC calibration
> > result:

> > And the 4 higher-end SoCs that we have available for testing all
> > report crystal clock 0Hz from CPUID 0x15, but by combining the
> > CPUID.0x16 base frequency with the CPUID.0x15 TSC/clock ratio, the
> > crystal frequency can be calculated as you describe, and it
> > consistently matches the APIC timer calibration result.

> > Is this data convincing enough or should we additionally wait for
> > some comments from Intel?
>
> For me it's pretty convincing, but having some confirmation from Intel
> wouldn't be a bad thing.
>
> > I came up with the patch below. However, upon testing, I realised
> > that, at least for the platforms I have in hand, only the first
> > hunk is really needed. We don't need to use your magic calculation
> > to find the crystal frequency because Intel already told us!
> > native_calibrate_tsc() already hardcodes the crystal frequency for
> > Kabylake, and Amber/Whiskey/Coffee also report the 0x8e/0x9e
> > Kabylake model codes.
>
> I'd rather replace these model checks with math. These tables are
> horrible to maintain.
>
> > Plus ApolloLake/GeminiLake do report the crystal frequency in
> > CPUID.0x15 so that is covered too.
>
> > While looking around this code I also spotted something curious.
> > In calibrate_APIC_clock() for the case where lapic_timer_frequency
> > has been externally provided, we have:
> > 		lapic_clockevent.max_delta_ns =
> > 			clockevent_delta2ns(0x7FFFFF,
> > &lapic_clockevent); lapic_clockevent.max_delta_ticks = 0x7FFFFF;
> >
> > But in the case where we calibrate, we have:
> > 	lapic_clockevent.max_delta_ns =
> > 		clockevent_delta2ns(0x7FFFFFFF, &lapic_clockevent);
> > 	lapic_clockevent.max_delta_ticks = 0x7FFFFFFF;
> >
> > 0x7FFFFF vs 0x7FFFFFFF, is that intentional?
>
> I don't think so. Looks like a failed copy and paste. Cc'ed Jacob, he

At the time of v2.6.35 both places use 0x7FFFFF. But later this patch
increased the latter to 0x7FFFFFFF but forgot the first part. So I
guess it is not exactly a failed copy and paste.

commit 4aed89d6b515b9185351706ca95cd712c9d8d6a3
Author: Pierre Tardy <pierre.tardy@...el.com>
Date:   Thu Jan 6 16:23:29 2011 +0100

    x86, lapic-timer: Increase the max_delta to 31 bits

> Thanks,
>
> 	tglx

[Jacob Pan]