Date:   Mon, 29 Apr 2019 17:03:59 +1000
From:   Greg Ungerer <gerg@...ux-m68k.org>
To:     Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
Cc:     Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>,
        Angelo Dureghello <angelo@...am.it>,
        Logan Gunthorpe <logang@...tatee.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Kate Stewart <kstewart@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Philippe Ombredanne <pombredanne@...b.com>,
        Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Linux/m68k <linux-m68k@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux-Arch <linux-arch@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: endianness swapped

Hi Arnd,

On 29/4/19 4:44 am, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 3:59 PM Greg Ungerer <gerg@...ux-m68k.org> wrote:
>> On 28/4/19 7:21 pm, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>>>
>>> Coldfire makes the behavior of readw()/readl() depend on the
>>> MMIO address, presumably since that was the easiest way to
>>> get drivers working originally, but it breaks the assumption
>>> in the asm-generic code.
>>
>> Yes, that is right.
>>
>> There is a number of common hardware modules that Freescale have
>> used in the ColdFire SoC parts and in their ARM based parts (iMX
>> families). The ARM parts are pretty much always little endian, and
>> the ColdFire is always big endian. The hardware registers in those
>> hardware blocks are always accessed in native endian of the processor.
>
> In later Freescale/NXP ARM SoCs (i.MX and Layerscape), we
> also get a lot of devices pulled over from PowerPC, with random
> endianess. In some cases, the same device that had big-endian
> registers originally ends up in two different ARM products and one of
> them uses big-endian while the other one uses little-endian registers.
>
>> So the address range checks are to deal with those internal
>> hardware blocks (i2c, spi, dma, etc), since we know those are
>> at fixed addresses. That leaves the usual endian swapping in place for
>> other general (ie external) devices (PCI devices, network chips, etc).
>
> Is there a complete list of coldfire on-chip device drivers?
>
> Looking at some of the drivers:
>
> - drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-imx.c uses only 8-bit accesses and works either way,
>    same for drivers/tty/serial/mcf.c
> - drivers/spi/spi-coldfire-qspi.c is apparently coldfire-only and could use
>    ioread32be for a portable to do big-endian register access.
> - edma-common has a wrapper to support both big-endian and little-endian
>    configurations in the same kernel image, but the mcf interrupt handler
>    is hardcoded to the (normally) little-endian ioread32 function.
> - drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/fec_main.c is shared between coldfire
>    and i.MX (but not mpc52xx), and is hardcoded to readl/writel, and
>    would need the same trick as edma to make it portable.

That matches up with what we list out in arch/m68k/coldfire/devices.c.
I can't think of any other drivers.

There is a lot of use readl/writel and friends in the architecture
specific code too, in arch/m68k/coldfire. At first I used __raw_readl/
__raw_writel to always get native endianess. But quote a few uses of
readl/writel have crept in over the years.

Regards
Greg