Date:   Sat, 11 May 2019 11:54:40 +0100
From:   Jonathan Cameron <jic23@...nel.org>
To:     "H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns@...delico.com>
Cc:     Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>,
        Eric Piel <eric.piel@...mplin-utc.net>,
        linux-input@...r.kernel.org, letux-kernel@...nphoenux.org,
        kernel@...a-handheld.com, Hartmut Knaack <knaack.h@....de>,
        Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@...afoo.de>,
        Peter Meerwald-Stadler <pmeerw@...erw.net>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-iio@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC v2] iio: input-bridge: optionally bridge iio acceleometers
 to create a /dev/input interface

On Thu, 9 May 2019 11:09:26 +0200
"H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns@...delico.com> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
> sorry for the delayed response, but I have to focus on other topics now.
No worries. I have the same 'problem'!  Hence nothing yet from my side
on an alternative.

> Just some small comments came to my mind to finish the discussion, mainly on the accelerometer in the lid case (see inline below).
>
> BR and thanks,
> Nikolaus
>

> > Am 22.04.2019 um 16:20 schrieb Jonathan Cameron <jic23@...nel.org>:
> >
> > On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 23:04:15 +0200
> > H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@...delico.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Jonathan,
> >> we seem to have opposite goals and therefore quite different ideas what the right
> >> solution is.
> >
> > Yup :)  Yikes this email has gotten complex.  Hopefully I haven't
> > lost track of the various points below.
> >

> >> I come from user-space and the input side, find that input can handle abstract "acceleration input",
> >> and some older chip drivers even provide that as their only interface. Therefore I want
> >> to provide "acceleration input" in these cases where only iio capable drivers exist by
> >> using the existing in-kernel-iio infrastructure. Nothing more.
> >>
> >> You seem to come from the iio architecture and want to extend it to other APIs as
> >> general as possible and input is just one of several of them.
> >
> > Yes, my target is to produce a subsystem that meets many (all would be nice)
> > requirements, including yours.  Whilst I'm happy to debate this for ever, I'm not
> > sure we are making any substantial progress.  As you mention below we
> > probably need to 'see the code' to drive the discussion forwards.
> >

> >> Different goals usually lead to different solution architectures.
> >
> > Indeed, but in this case we have your proposal which is a subset of what
> > I am suggesting.  One architecture can fulfil both requirements.
>
> Not exactly. Yours always needs configuration in every case. My RFC works without
> user-space config support for the most common cases. This user-space config must
> be maintained and spread over all distributions. So we can never be sure that
> if a user changes the distro that it still works.

Indeed, we disagree on this and will continue to do so.  My view
is that you will always need userspace policy anyway so might as
well apply the 'right' policy :)

> [...]
> > is to use them for input.  The exact same physical device is used for games
> > input uses and counting steps for example (actually a lot wider cases than
> > that, but this one is common in android devices).
> >
> > Keep that in mind at all times. There are lots of usecases.
> > So we need a solution that does not result in problems for those
> > usecases.  We are not writing a subsytem targetting android use of
> > accelerometers. We are writing a subsystem addressing as many usecases
> > as we can of those devices.
> >
> > Note that the original reason for IIO was to generalize a whole set of
> > proposed individual subsystems targeting particular sensor types. So
> > that is our focus - solutions that work for everyone.  This isn't
> > totally dissimilar from those discussions - at the time I wanted
> > to do a small focused ALS subsystem and got a resounding "no" from
> > Linus.  Generality matters a lot for the long term.
> >

> >> a) because there is no alternative for accelerometer input devices and there are some
> >> (older) accelerometer chips which only present themselves as input devices as soon
> >> as the driver is compiled and the chip is found.
> >
> > Actually that is not accurate.  The vast majority of those older devices
> > that have had any attempt at mainlining are in IIO. AFAIK no accelerometer
> > driver has been merged to mainline input for many years. This is because,
> > amongst others, Dmitry has been of the view they didn't belong there for
> > a very long time.
> >

> >> b) because input events define ACCEL input devices. But no Temperature or Voltage
> >> input or generic ADC input.So there is no generalization of input devices beyond
> >> keyboard, mouse, joystick, accelerometer and some others.
> >
> > That's not totally inaccurate, but the distinction in the other sensor cases
> > is that there is a clear 'additional' element that we can map in devicetree
> > which relates the IIO sensor channel to the input device.
> > Doesn't matter for the point of view of this discussion though.

> >> This bridge addition does not exclude any (additional) in-kernel use.
> >
> > No but it creates several problems:
> >
> > 1. Two ways to do the same thing.
> > 2. Two sets of code to maintain.
> > 3. Confusion over what is the best way of doing it.
> > 4. The known issues with multiple consumers (note my solution has
> > that problem as well!)
> >
> > My job here is to maintain the code, which is why I push back on something
> > that makes that job harder.
> >
> > When the next usecases comes along and someone says they want to map
> > all ADC channels to hwmon channels because that is the subystem that
> > they expect to measure voltages in, then I don't have a good argument
> > to stop them doing the same thing you have.
> >
> > As a side note we have in the past had input drivers for gyroscopes and
> > magnetometers.  Why are accelerometers special?
> >
> > I really don't see why we should treat accelerometers differently
>
> Not special. I just did not want to add them yet in the RFC phase.

hmm. I would argue that makes things even worse but there we are.
Now we have input interfaces for a wider set of drivers, many
of which aren't there for input at all.

> > As this discussion runs on, I am increasingly convinced that there *must*
> > be a userspace policy control over whether an input device is
> > instantiated for a given accelerometer.   Once that is the
> > case then I cannot see a reason to treat it any differently from
> > other channel types.
>
> Well, I believe that we should avoid any user-space policy control that
> can be avoided. At least those cases that can live without policy
> control should not need to get one because there are other cases that
> need one.
>
> This is something we can't solve by discussion, of course.
>
> The decision is that you are maintainer and I am just proposing an RFC.
> So you have two votes and a veto right...
>
> But maybe this can be fixed by proper defaults? I don't know.

Agreed, we aren't going to resolve this.  I need to at least find some
time to put an alternative on the table rather than just abstract
discussion.

> [...]
> > solved.  Right now the cases that work are very much restricted.  I'd love
> > to tidy some of these up, but never enough time and all that.
> >
> > It's not that relevant here, but in short a few of the issues are:
> > 1) Interference over control settings.  - Two consumers need different filter
> >   settings/ sampling frequency / range.  How do we negotiate the choice and
> >   communicate it to the other consumers.  More complex questions such
> >   mediating choices of triggers.
> > 2) One driver is doing polled reads, the other is doing interrupt driven.
> >   Most drivers prevent this combination because the polled reads can lead
> >   to unlimited delays on the interrupt driven path and hence break it.
> >
> > The main driver for this separation was to present only the 'right' interface
> > to reduced people's validation costs etc.  People really do want to have the
> > option to strip back the userspace inteface.  Obviously these are the rare
> > people who would disable your config option, but the point of this was
> > that we actually would like to make even the IIO interface optional as
> > well but have a fair way to go before we can.

> >> This is not my point here. I mention this under the (now known to be wrong) assumption
> >> that resources do care. I just want to state that kernels built for platforms where every
> >> byte counts can be stripped down by disabling it. Others where resources are no concern
> >> simply can map them all, even if not used.
> >
> > Agreed. A subset of users will just build without this.

> >> Hm. No. My proposal does not need configuration which accelerometers should go where.
> >
> > Agreed. I was talking about my proposal here :)
> >

> >> I assumethat input accelerometer users do not want to configure anything, like neither
> >> a mouse or keyboard is to be configured to be useable (yes there are keymaps but that
> >> is impossible to automate).
> >
> > The difference is a mouse is only really useful as a mouse and most of the time a keyboard
> > is a used only as a keyboard.  Here that's not true.
> >

> >> They just want to be able to read device orientation in a device-independent scale.
> >> Therefore my approach already takes the mount-matrix into account to hide sensor position
> >> differences.
> >
> > And how does that work on the common case of a sensor in the lid of a laptop?
> > how do you know what angle the screen is at?
>
> Well, I am not aware of laptops where the sensor is in the lid because I am in the handhelds
> business, but let's assume it is common.
>
> I realized that if the sensor orientation is related to the lid position, while the reference
> frame reported to user space is to be referenced to the lap or keyboard of the laptop, there does
> not exist a static mount-matrix to describe it properly. So no driver can report that correctly.
>
> Therefore, such a device needs a dynamic mount matrix, i.e. there should be a kernel driver that
> reads out the lid angle sensor and modifies the mount-matrix of the accelerometer by some sin()/cos()

This is where it is tricky.  There is no such lid angle sensor, that's what the accelerometer
is for. Typically you have a pair of accelerometers and need to know which is which. which one makes
sense for input use is non obvious.

The reason I raised this at all was to make the point that there is often a need for user
policy anyway. It's not a glorious world of things just magically working.

> Well, you can delegate this to the user-space. But IMHO this is wrong layering. Every layer
> put on top of the lower layers should abstract away implementation details so that the highest
> layer has the most general interface.
>
> In my view we have here this "protocol" stack (casting into the ISO 7-layer model):
>
> 	L7: application - user space
> 	L3: input - to get device orientation information
> 	L2: iio - to get raw data and mount-matrix
> 	L1: i2c, spi, usb, hdq, ... - to get bits from/to chips
> 	L0: chips, ...
>
> My RFC mainly mangles the raw data reported from the iio level and the mount matrix into
> device orientation information. I.e. it is a proposal for L3 implementation.
>
> So fixing an issue of L2 (dynamic mount matrix for lid angle) in the user-space layer would be improper
> layering.
>
> So there are two possibilites:
> a) make the mount-matrix dynamical as described above in L2
> b) extend my RFC to handle this special case
I would argue that it becomes just another part of the userspace policy that
needs to be applied.  Sure the actual transform would be applied in kernel
but the decision on which accelerometer to use and if additional transforms
are needed, is one for userspace not the kernel.  Probably not that hard
to add as simple controls alongside a binding interface.

Thanks,

Jonathan