Date:   Sat, 18 May 2019 13:50:42 -0700
From:   "Srivatsa S. Bhat" <srivatsa@...il.mit.edu>
To:     Paolo Valente <paolo.valente@...aro.org>
Cc:     linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-block <linux-block@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, cgroups@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, axboe@...nel.dk, jack@...e.cz,
        jmoyer@...hat.com, tytso@....edu, amakhalov@...are.com,
        anishs@...are.com, srivatsab@...are.com
Subject: Re: CFQ idling kills I/O performance on ext4 with blkio cgroup
 controller

On 5/18/19 11:39 AM, Paolo Valente wrote:
> I've addressed these issues in my last batch of improvements for BFQ,
> which landed in the upcoming 5.2. If you give it a try, and still see
> the problem, then I'll be glad to reproduce it, and hopefully fix it
> for you.

Hi Paolo,

Thank you for looking into this!

I just tried current mainline at commit 72cf0b07, but unfortunately
didn't see any improvement:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/test.img bs=512 count=10000 oflag=dsync

With mq-deadline, I get:

5120000 bytes (5.1 MB, 4.9 MiB) copied, 3.90981 s, 1.3 MB/s

With bfq, I get:
5120000 bytes (5.1 MB, 4.9 MiB) copied, 84.8216 s, 60.4 kB/s

Please let me know if any more info about my setup might be helpful.

Thank you!

Regards,
Srivatsa
VMware Photon OS