Date:   Tue, 21 May 2019 19:26:13 +0900
From:   Minchan Kim <minchan@...nel.org>
To:     Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>
Cc:     Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-mm <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
        Tim Murray <timmurray@...gle.com>,
        Joel Fernandes <joel@...lfernandes.org>,
        Suren Baghdasaryan <surenb@...gle.com>,
        Daniel Colascione <dancol@...gle.com>,
        Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@...gle.com>,
        Sonny Rao <sonnyrao@...gle.com>,
        Brian Geffon <bgeffon@...gle.com>, linux-api@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC 6/7] mm: extend process_madvise syscall to support vector
 arrary

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 08:24:21AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Tue 21-05-19 11:48:20, Minchan Kim wrote:
> > On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 11:22:58AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > > [Cc linux-api]

> > > Is that a problem? How big of a problem? Any numbers?
> >
> > We easily have 2000+ vma so it's not trivial overhead. I will come up
> > with number in the description at respin.
>
> Does this really have to be a fast operation? I would expect the monitor
> is by no means a fast path. The system call overhead is not what it used
> to be, sigh, but still for something that is not a hot path it should be
> tolerable, especially when the whole operation is quite expensive on its
> own (wrt. the syscall entry/exit).

What's different with process_vm_[readv|writev] and vmsplice?
If the range needed to be covered is a lot, vector operation makes senese
to me.

> I am not saying we do not need a multiplexing API, I am just not sure
> we need it right away. Btw. there was some demand for other MM syscalls
> to provide a multiplexing API (e.g. mprotect), maybe it would be better
> to handle those in one go?

That's the exactly what Daniel Colascione suggested from internal
review. That would be a interesting approach if we could aggregate
all of system call in one go.