Date:   Thu, 23 May 2019 12:41:30 -0700
From:   Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>
To:     Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>
Cc:     Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@...gle.com>,
        Linux MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Kernel Team <kernel-team@...com>
Subject: Re: xarray breaks thrashing detection and cgroup isolation

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 03:21:17PM -0400, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 12:00:32PM -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> > > Also some users of xarray may not want __GFP_ACCOUNT. That's the
> > > reason we had __GFP_ACCOUNT for page cache instead of hard coding it
> > > in radix tree.
> >
> > This is what I don't understand -- why would someone not want
> > __GFP_ACCOUNT?  For a shared resource?  But the page cache is a shared
> > resource.  So what is a good example of a time when an allocation should
> > _not_ be accounted to the cgroup?
>
> We used to cgroup-account every slab charge to cgroups per default,
> until we changed it to a whitelist behavior:
>
> commit b2a209ffa605994cbe3c259c8584ba1576d3310c
> Author: Vladimir Davydov <vdavydov@...tuozzo.com>
> Date:   Thu Jan 14 15:18:05 2016 -0800
>
>     Revert "kernfs: do not account ino_ida allocations to memcg"
>
>     Currently, all kmem allocations (namely every kmem_cache_alloc, kmalloc,
>     alloc_kmem_pages call) are accounted to memory cgroup automatically.
>     Callers have to explicitly opt out if they don't want/need accounting
>     for some reason.  Such a design decision leads to several problems:
>
>      - kmalloc users are highly sensitive to failures, many of them
>        implicitly rely on the fact that kmalloc never fails, while memcg
>        makes failures quite plausible.

Doesn't apply here.  The allocation under spinlock is expected to fail,
and then we'll use xas_nomem() with the caller's specified GFP flags
which may or may not include __GFP_ACCOUNT.

>      - A lot of objects are shared among different containers by design.
>        Accounting such objects to one of containers is just unfair.
>        Moreover, it might lead to pinning a dead memcg along with its kmem
>        caches, which aren't tiny, which might result in noticeable increase
>        in memory consumption for no apparent reason in the long run.

These objects are in the slab of radix_tree_nodes, and we'll already be
accounting page cache nodes to the cgroup, so accounting random XArray
nodes to the cgroups isn't going to make the problem worse.

>      - There are tons of short-lived objects. Accounting them to memcg will
>        only result in slight noise and won't change the overall picture, but
>        we still have to pay accounting overhead.

XArray nodes are generally not short-lived objects.