Date:   Thu, 30 May 2019 18:25:18 -0600
From:   J Lovejoy <opensource@...ayne.com>
To:     Alexios Zavras <alexios.zavras@...el.com>
Cc:     Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@...tlin.com>,
        Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        "linux-spdx@...r.kernel.org" <linux-spdx@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] SPDX update for 5.2-rc1 - round 1

HI all,

Sorry I didn’t jump in here sooner. Just a bit of additional background info to what Thomas and Alexios have already provided below:

As Thomas mentioned in another part of this thread, the identifiers for the GNU family of licenses was changed as of v3.0 of the SPDX License List in Dec 2017. See https://spdx.org/news/news/2018/01/license-list-30-released for a explanation and https://www.gnu.org/licenses/identify-licenses-clearly.html for the impetus of the change. (Note, the SPDX License List has its own versioning separate from the SPDX Spec.)  We don’t change the license identifiers lightly and have only done so for very specific and limited reasons, so you can be sure there was a LOT of discussion over this change. Unfortunately, the lengthy discussion happened to coincide with the beginning of the work here on using the SPDX identifiers in the kernel. In a perfect world, we would have completed that change before you all started this, but sometimes things don’t go according to best timing!

>> Now, what should we do with all the GPL-2.0 and GPL-2.0+ tags that we have?
>
> These are still valid identifiers (albeit deprecated),
> so there is no urgent need to have them replaced.

This is correct. It would be nice if any new identifiers used the current ones. If the old identifiers get updated as other patches are done to those files or something organic like that, that would be great, but no rush. We’ve got plenty to focus on with getting the identifiers in there, sorting out the “messy” files and so on!

Thanks again for all the work on this!

Jilayne
SPDX legal team co-lead