Date:   Mon, 3 Jun 2019 13:27:17 -0400
From:   Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>
To:     Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>
Cc:     Minchan Kim <minchan@...nel.org>,
        linux-mm <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, linux-api@...r.kernel.org,
        Tim Murray <timmurray@...gle.com>,
        Joel Fernandes <joel@...lfernandes.org>,
        Suren Baghdasaryan <surenb@...gle.com>,
        Daniel Colascione <dancol@...gle.com>,
        Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@...gle.com>,
        Sonny Rao <sonnyrao@...gle.com>,
        Brian Geffon <bgeffon@...gle.com>, jannh@...gle.com,
        oleg@...hat.com, christian@...uner.io, oleksandr@...hat.com,
        hdanton@...a.com
Subject: Re: [RFCv2 1/6] mm: introduce MADV_COLD

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 09:16:07AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Fri 31-05-19 23:34:07, Minchan Kim wrote:

> > > Why do we restrict to pages that are single mapped?
> >
> > Because page table in one of process shared the page would have access bit
> > so finally we couldn't reclaim the page. The more process it is shared,
> > the more fail to reclaim.
>
> So what? In other words why should it be restricted solely based on the
> map count. I can see a reason to restrict based on the access
> permissions because we do not want to simplify all sorts of side channel
> attacks but memory reclaim is capable of reclaiming shared pages and so
> far I haven't heard any sound argument why madvise should skip those.
> Again if there are any reasons, then document them in the changelog.

I think it makes sense. It could be explained, but it also follows
established madvise semantics, and I'm not sure it's necessarily
Minchan's job to re-iterate those.

Sharing isn't exactly transparent to userspace. The kernel does COW,
ksm etc. When you madvise, you can really only speak for your own
reference to that memory - "*I* am not using this."

This is in line with other madvise calls: MADV_DONTNEED clears the
local page table entries and drops the corresponding references, so
shared pages won't get freed. MADV_FREE clears the pte dirty bit and
also has explicit mapcount checks before clearing PG_dirty, so again
shared pages don't get freed.