Date:   Tue, 4 Jun 2019 15:12:11 +0200
From:   Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com>
To:     Benjamin Tissoires <benjamin.tissoires@...hat.com>
Cc:     Jiri Kosina <jikos@...nel.org>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...el.com>,
        "open list:HID CORE LAYER" <linux-input@...r.kernel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: hid-related 5.2-rc1 boot hang

Hi,

On 04-06-19 14:25, Benjamin Tissoires wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 12:50 PM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 04-06-19 12:08, Benjamin Tissoires wrote:

>>> Making progress here.
>>>
>>> The difference between Ubuntu/Tumbleweed and Fedora: usbhid is shipped
>>> as a module while in Fedora usbhid is included in the kernel.
>>>
>>> If I rmmod hid_* and usbhid, then modprobe usbhid, the command hangs
>>> for 3 minutes.
>>> If usbhid is already loaded, inserting a receiver is immediate
>>> regarding the loading of the external modules.
>>>
>>> So my assumption is that when the device gets detected at boot, usbhid
>>> gets loaded by the kernel event, which in turns attempts to call
>>> __request_module, but the modprobe can't be fulfilled because it's
>>> already waiting for the initial usbhid modprobe to finish.
>>>
>>> Still don't know how to solve that, but I thought I should share.
>>
>> Hmm, we may be hitting the scenario described in the big comment
>> around line 3500 of kernel/module.c.
>
> Well, we are not locking during do_init_module(), but in waiting for
> the completion of request_module(). So as I read the trace, we wait
> for userspace to call/terminate modprobe.
>

>> But I'm not sure that is what is happening here.
>>
>> Maybe you can put a WARN_ON(1) in request_module and look at the
>> backtrace ?  That may help to figure out what is going on; or
>> alternatively it might help to find some way to detect this and
>> if it happens skip the request_module...
>
> Ftrace is much easier to deal with:
> ---
> /sys/kernel/debug/tracing # cat trace
> # tracer: function
> #
> # entries-in-buffer/entries-written: 4/4   #P:4
> #
> #                              _-----=> irqs-off
> #                             / _----=> need-resched
> #                            | / _---=> hardirq/softirq
> #                            || / _--=> preempt-depth
> #                            ||| /     delay
> #           TASK-PID   CPU#  ||||    TIMESTAMP  FUNCTION
> #              | |       |   ||||       |         |
>          modprobe-23236 [003] ....  9191.880917: __request_module
> <-hid_add_device
>          modprobe-23236 [003] ....  9191.880937: <stack trace>
>   => 0xffffffffc0851061
>   => __request_module
>   => hid_add_device
>   => usbhid_probe
>   => usb_probe_interface
>   => really_probe
>   => driver_probe_device
>   => device_driver_attach
>   => __driver_attach
>   => bus_for_each_dev
>   => bus_add_driver
>   => driver_register
>   => usb_register_driver
>   => hid_init
>   => do_one_initcall
>   => do_init_module
>   => load_module
>   => __do_sys_finit_module
>   => do_syscall_64
> [...]

Yes that is probably a good solution. When the first bug reports came
in I was thinking that the nested hid_add_device calls from hid-logitech-dj
calling hid_add_device() were the problem, but those are already deferred
to a workqueue so those are not really nested.

Looking at various callers if hid_add_device, if we always defer, we also
need the caller to give a callback to call on add_device error, which would
then be used to free various resources related to the hid device.

If me make hid_add_device itself always defer, I guess we may want a non
deferred version of hid_add_device for the hid_add_device calls in
hid-logitech-dj.

In essence we are dealing with nested hid_add_device calls here right?

So another solution would be to have an atomic counter and call
atomic_long_inc_return on it before the hid_add_device and then if its
previous value was not 0, skip the request_module ?
This does mean though that we then may get inconsistent behavior if
2 unrelated hid_add_device-s are racing with each-other :|

Regards,

Hans