Date:   Thu, 20 Jun 2019 21:17:37 +0900
From:   Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@...nel.org>
To:     Tom Zanussi <tom.zanussi@...ux.intel.com>
Cc:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
Subject: No invalid histogram error

Hi Tom,

I'm trying to use histogram on a synthetic event, but faced an odd situation.

There is a synthetic event, which has foo and bar.

/sys/kernel/debug/tracing # cat synthetic_events
testevent	int foo; int bar

And when I tried to add hist on trigger, both foo and bar can be used as below.

/sys/kernel/debug/tracing # echo "hist:keys=bar" > events/synthetic/testevent/trigger
/sys/kernel/debug/tracing # echo "hist:keys=foo" > events/synthetic/testevent/trigger

And, when I missed to specify the sort key, it failed

/sys/kernel/debug/tracing # echo "hist:keys=foo:sort=bar" > events/synthetic/testevent/trigger
sh: write error: Invalid argument

But no error on error_log file.

/sys/kernel/debug/tracing # cat error_log
/sys/kernel/debug/tracing #

Could you add some error message? What about below?

[ 5422.134656] hist:synthetic:testevent: error: Sort key must be one of keys.
  Command: keys=foo;sort=bar
                               ^

Thank you,

--