Date:   Mon, 8 Jul 2019 23:53:07 +0300
From:   Meelis Roos <mroos@...ux.ee>
To:     "Edgecombe, Rick P" <rick.p.edgecombe@...el.com>,
        "mingo@...nel.org" <mingo@...nel.org>,
        "peterz@...radead.org" <peterz@...radead.org>,
        "linux-ia64@...ts.kernel.org" <linux-ia64@...ts.kernel.org>
Cc:     "namit@...are.com" <namit@...are.com>,
        "Hansen, Dave" <dave.hansen@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [bisected] "mm/vmalloc: Add flag for freeing of special
 permsissions" corrupts memory on ia64

> I am out of the office and don't have access to this hardware either. I
> will try to find someone at Intel that does to speed this up. In the
> meantime I can send you a logging patch to do some sanity checks if you
> are able to run it.

I am also cut off from testing anything - it seems the air conditioning
unit in my test site has failked for good now and the earliest I can test
anything is next week.

> I think I found your earlier mail, and it said 5.2-rc1 did not show the
> problem. I guess this wasn't the case after further testing, but 5.1
> continued to be problem free?

Yes, 5.2-rc1 was problematic in retesting, and 5.1 was OK.

I also started suspecting binutils upgrade meanwhile - I upgraded binutils
to 2.31.1-p5 in Gentoo right after booting into 5.1, but the bisection
results were finally consistent so I did not look into binutils versions
further. gcc has not changed for me recently.

--
Meelis Roos <mroos@...ux.ee>