Date:   Fri, 12 Jul 2019 10:09:51 +0200
From:   Alexandre Chartre <alexandre.chartre@...cle.com>
To:     Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...el.com>, pbonzini@...hat.com,
        rkrcmar@...hat.com, tglx@...utronix.de, mingo@...hat.com,
        bp@...en8.de, hpa@...or.com, dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com,
        luto@...nel.org, peterz@...radead.org, kvm@...r.kernel.org,
        x86@...nel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:     konrad.wilk@...cle.com, jan.setjeeilers@...cle.com,
        liran.alon@...cle.com, jwadams@...gle.com, graf@...zon.de,
        rppt@...ux.vnet.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 00/27] Kernel Address Space Isolation

On 7/12/19 12:38 AM, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On 7/11/19 7:25 AM, Alexandre Chartre wrote:
>> - Kernel code mapped to the ASI page-table has been reduced to:
>>    . the entire kernel (I still need to test with only the kernel text)
>>    . the cpu entry area (because we need the GDT to be mapped)
>>    . the cpu ASI session (for managing ASI)
>>    . the current stack
>>
>> - Optionally, an ASI can request the following kernel mapping to be added:
>>    . the stack canary
>>    . the cpu offsets (this_cpu_off)
>>    . the current task
>>    . RCU data (rcu_data)
>>    . CPU HW events (cpu_hw_events).
>
> I don't see the per-cpu areas in here.  But, the ASI macros in
> entry_64.S (and asi_start_abort()) use per-cpu data.

We don't map all per-cpu areas, but only the per-cpu variables we need. ASI
code uses the per-cpu cpu_asi_session variable which is mapped when an ASI
is created (see patch 15/26):

+	/*
+	 * Map the percpu ASI sessions. This is used by interrupt handlers
+	 * to figure out if we have entered isolation and switch back to
+	 * the kernel address space.
+	 */
+	err = ASI_MAP_CPUVAR(asi, cpu_asi_session);
+	if (err)
+		return err;

> Also, this stuff seems to do naughty stuff (calling C code, touching
> per-cpu data) before the PTI CR3 writes have been done.  But, I don't
> see anything excluding PTI and this code from coexisting.

My understanding is that PTI CR3 writes only happens when switching to/from
userland. While ASI enter/exit/abort happens while we are already in the kernel,
so asi_start_abort() is not called when coming from userland and so not
interacting with PTI.

For example, if ASI in used during a syscall (e.g. with KVM), we have:

  -> syscall
     - PTI CR3 write (kernel CR3)
     - syscall handler:
       asi_enter()-> write ASI CR3
       .. code run with ASI ..
       asi_exit() or asi abort -> restore original CR3
     - PTI CR3 write (userland CR3)
  <- syscall

Thanks,

alex.