Date:   Sat, 13 Jul 2019 17:43:05 +0100
From:   Alex Dewar <alex.dewar@....co.uk>
To:     Heiko Stuebner <heiko@...ech.de>
Cc:     Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@...nel.org>,
        Hans Verkuil <hverkuil-cisco@...all.nl>,
        Philipp Zabel <p.zabel@...gutronix.de>,
        Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@...labora.com>,
        linux-arm-kernel <linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
        "open list:ARM/Rockchip SoC..." <linux-rockchip@...ts.infradead.org>,
        linux-media@...r.kernel.org, devel@...verdev.osuosl.org
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] Xorg segfaults on Asus Chromebook CP101 with Linux
 v5.2 (was Asus C101P Chromeboot fails to boot with Linux 5.2)

On 13/07/2019 16:17, Heiko Stuebner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Samstag, 13. Juli 2019, 13:38:45 CEST schrieb Alex Dewar:
>> I initially thought my machine was failing to boot entirely, but it
>> turns out it was just failing to start the display manager. I managed to
>> escape to a tty by hammering the keyboard a bit.
>>
>> I suspect the culprit is the rockchip_vpu driver (in staging/media),
>> which has been renamed to hantro in this merge window. When I run startx
>> from a terminal, X fails to start and Xorg segfaults (log here:
>> http://users.sussex.ac.uk/~ad374/xorg.log). X seems to work without any
>> issues in v5.1.
>
> 5.2 also has support for Panfrost (Mali-Midgard GPUs) but I'm not
> sure if it already can support X11 yet and your X11 log mentions
> libglamoregl in the segfault stack trace.
>
> Apart from it bisect that Greg suggested you could also just try
> blacklisting either panfrost or vpu kernel modules
> /etc/udev/somewhere . This would prevent them from loading
>
> Hope that helps
> Heiko

Hi Heiko,

Thanks for this. I blacklisted the panfrost driver and X magically
started working again.

I'll try to do a bisect later to find the offending commit though.

In related news, it also seems that the sound and wifi drivers aren't
working either in 5.2 (although I need to do a bit more testing to
confirm the latter).

Best,
Alex