Date:   Fri, 26 Jul 2019 12:54:57 -0700
From:   Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>
To:     Anshuman Khandual <anshuman.khandual@....com>
Cc:     linux-mm@...ck.org, Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>,
        Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@....com>,
        Mark Brown <Mark.Brown@....com>,
        Steven Price <Steven.Price@....com>,
        Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@...aro.org>,
        Masahiro Yamada <yamada.masahiro@...ionext.com>,
        Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
        Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@...ove.sakura.ne.jp>,
        Sri Krishna chowdary <schowdary@...dia.com>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...el.com>,
        linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org, x86@...nel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] mm/pgtable/debug: Add test validating architecture page
 table helpers

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:17:11AM +0530, Anshuman Khandual wrote:
> > But 'page' isn't necessarily PMD-aligned.  I don't think we can rely on
> > architectures doing the right thing if asked to make a PMD for a randomly
> > aligned page.
> >
> > How about finding the physical address of something like kernel_init(),
>
> Physical address corresponding to the symbol in the kernel text segment ?

Yes.  We need the address of something that's definitely memory.
The stack might be in vmalloc space.  We can't allocate memory from the
allocator that's PUD-aligned.  This seems like a reasonable approximation
to something that might work.

> > and using the corresponding pte/pmd/pud/p4d/pgd that encompasses that
>
> So I guess this will help us use pte/pmd/pud/p4d/pgd entries from a real and
> present mapping rather then making them up for test purpose. Although we are
> not creating real page tables here just wondering if this could some how
> affect these real mapping in anyway from some accessors. The current proposal
> stays clear from anything real - allocates, evaluates and releases.

I think that's a mistake.  As Russell said, the ARM p*d manipulation
functions expect to operate on tables, not on individual entries
constructed on the stack.

So I think the right thing to do here is allocate an mm, then do the
pgd_alloc / p4d_alloc / pud_alloc / pmd_alloc / pte_alloc() steps giving
you real page tables that you can manipulate.

Then destroy them, of course.  And don't access through them.

> >> +#ifdef CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE_PUD
> >> +static void pud_basic_tests(void)
> >
> > Is this the right ifdef?
>
> IIUC THP at PUD is where the pud_t entries are directly operated upon and the
> corresponding accessors are present only when HAVE_ARCH_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE_PUD
> is enabled. Am I missing something here ?

Maybe I am.  I thought we could end up operating on PUDs for kernel mappings,
even without transparent hugepages turned on.