Date:   Fri, 26 Jul 2019 09:47:12 -0400
From:   "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
To:     Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>
Cc:     syzbot <syzbot+e58112d71f77113ddb7b@...kaller.appspotmail.com>,
        aarcange@...hat.com, akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
        christian@...uner.io, davem@...emloft.net, ebiederm@...ssion.com,
        elena.reshetova@...el.com, guro@...com, hch@...radead.org,
        james.bottomley@...senpartnership.com, jglisse@...hat.com,
        keescook@...omium.org, ldv@...linux.org,
        linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-parisc@...r.kernel.org,
        luto@...capital.net, mhocko@...e.com, mingo@...nel.org,
        namit@...are.com, peterz@...radead.org,
        syzkaller-bugs@...glegroups.com, viro@...iv.linux.org.uk,
        wad@...omium.org
Subject: Re: WARNING in __mmdrop

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 08:53:18PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:

> On 2019/7/26 下午8:38, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> > > It looks to me for tree rcu, its srcu_read_lock() have a mb() which is too
> > > expensive for us.
> > I will try to ponder using vq lock in some way.
> > Maybe with trylock somehow ...
>

> Ok, let me retry if necessary (but I do remember I end up with deadlocks
> last try).
>

> > > If we just worry about the IPI,
> > With synchronize_rcu what I would worry about is that guest is stalled
>

> Can this synchronize_rcu() be triggered by guest? If yes, there are several
> other MMU notifiers that can block. Is vhost something special here?

Sorry, let me explain: guests (and tasks in general)
can trigger activity that will
make synchronize_rcu take a long time. Thus blocking
an mmu notifier until synchronize_rcu finishes
is a bad idea.

> > because system is busy because of other guests.
> > With expedited it's the IPIs...
> >

> The current synchronize_rcu()  can force a expedited grace period:
>
> void synchronize_rcu(void)
> {
>         if (rcu_blocking_is_gp())
> return;
>         if (rcu_gp_is_expedited())
> synchronize_rcu_expedited();
> else
> wait_rcu_gp(call_rcu);
> }
> EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(synchronize_rcu);

An admin can force rcu to finish faster, trading
interrupts for responsiveness.

> > > can we do something like in
> > > vhost_invalidate_vq_start()?
> > >
> > >          if (map) {
> > >                  /* In order to avoid possible IPIs with
> > >                   * synchronize_rcu_expedited() we use call_rcu() +
> > >                   * completion.
> > > */
> > > init_completion(&c.completion);
> > >                  call_rcu(&c.rcu_head, vhost_finish_vq_invalidation);
> > > wait_for_completion(&c.completion);
> > >                  vhost_set_map_dirty(vq, map, index);
> > > vhost_map_unprefetch(map);
> > >          }
> > >
> > > ?
> > Why would that be faster than synchronize_rcu?
>

> No faster but no IPI.

Sorry I still don't see the point.
synchronize_rcu doesn't normally do an IPI either.

> > > Yes, worth to try. But using direct map has its own advantage: it can use
> > > hugepage that vmap can't
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > Sure, so we can do that for small rings.
>

> Yes, that's possible but should be done on top.
>
> Thanks

Absolutely. Need to fix up the bugs first.

--
MST