Date:   Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:00:43 +0100
From:   Raphael Gault <raphael.gault@....com>
To:     Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@...hat.com>
Cc:     linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        peterz@...radead.org, catalin.marinas@....com, will.deacon@....com,
        julien.thierry.kdev@...il.com, raph.gault+kdev@...il.com
Subject: Re: [RFC v4 00/18] objtool: Add support for arm64

Hi Josh,

On 8/22/19 8:56 PM, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 01:23:45PM +0100, Raphael Gault wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Changes since RFC V3:
>> * Rebased on tip/master: Switch/jump table had been refactored
>> * Take Catalin Marinas comments into account regarding the asm macro for
>>    marking exceptions.
>>
>> As of now, objtool only supports the x86_64 architecture but the
>> groundwork has already been done in order to add support for other
>> architectures without too much effort.
>>
>> This series of patches adds support for the arm64 architecture
>> based on the Armv8.5 Architecture Reference Manual.
>>
>> Objtool will be a valuable tool to progress and provide more guarentees
>> on live patching which is a work in progress for arm64.
>>
>> Once we have the base of objtool working the next steps will be to
>> port Peter Z's uaccess validation for arm64.
>
> Hi Raphael,
>
> Sorry about the long delay.  I have some comments coming shortly.
>
> One general comment: I noticed that several of the (mostly minor)
> suggested changes I made for v1 haven't been fixed.
>
> I'll try to suggest them again here for v4, so you don't need to go back
> and find them.  But in the future please try to incorporate all the
> comments from previous patch sets before posting new versions.  I'm sure
> it wasn't intentional, as you did acknowledge and agree to most of the
> changes.  But it does waste people's time and goodwill if you neglect to
> incorporate their suggestions.  Thanks.

Indeed, sorry about that.

Thanks for you comments, I will do my best to address them shortly.
However, I won't have access to my professional emails for a little
while and probably won't be able to work on this before at least a week.
I'll try to have a new soon though and use my personal email.

Thanks,

--
Raphael Gault