Date:   Mon, 16 Sep 2019 13:53:47 +0200
From:   Christoph Pleger <christoph.pleger@...uni-dortmund.de>
To:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-admin@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Running an application on a new VT

Hello,

I am using the program openvt to run another program. openvt is used to
open a new virtual terminal and then run the given program on the new
VT. In my case, I want to start a KDE Plasma session on the new VT.

Unfortunately, this did not work as expected: After entering the command
'openvt -s -w -- dbus-run-session startplasmacompositor', the KDE
session did not start on the new VT, but on tty1, from where I had
entered the openvt command. Then, I tried with 'openvt -s -w --
/bin/bash', but though this ran bash on a new virtual terminal, entering
'dbus-run-session startplasmacompositor' on the new VT caused a switch
back to tty1 and again, the desktop session started there.

Does anybody know why not the new VT is used for the desktop session and
how that behaviour can be changed?

Regards
   Christoph