Date:   Fri, 11 Oct 2019 15:06:10 +0100
From:   Marc Zyngier <maz@...nel.org>
To:     Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@....com>
Cc:     Sai Prakash Ranjan <saiprakash.ranjan@...eaurora.org>,
        rnayak@...eaurora.org, suzuki.poulose@....com,
        catalin.marinas@....com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        jeremy.linton@....com, bjorn.andersson@...aro.org,
        linux-arm-msm@...r.kernel.org, andrew.murray@....com,
        will@...nel.org, Dave.Martin@....com,
        linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org
Subject: Re: Relax CPU features sanity checking on heterogeneous
 architectures

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 14:54:31 +0100
Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@....com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 02:33:43PM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 11:50:11 +0100
> > Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@....com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > For reference, which CPUs are in those SoCs?

> > > The differing fields are EL3, EL2, and EL1: the boot CPU supports
> > > AArch64 and AArch32 at those exception levels, while the secondary only
> > > supports AArch64.
> > >
> > > Do we handle this variation in KVM?
> >
> > We do, at least at vcpu creation time (see kvm_reset_vcpu). But if one
> > of the !AArch32 CPU comes in late in the game (after we've started a
> > guest), all bets are off (we'll schedule the 32bit guest on that CPU,
> > enter the guest, immediately take an Illegal Exception Return, and
> > return to userspace with KVM_EXIT_FAIL_ENTRY).
>
> Ouch. We certainly can't remove the warning untill we deal with that
> somehow, then.

Indeed. Same thing applies for hot-removing the AArch32-capable CPUs,
by the way. You'd end-up in a situation where guests can't run, despite
the initial contract that we're happy that configuration.

> > Not sure we could do better, given the HW. My preference would be to
> > fail these CPUs if they aren't present at boot time.
>
> I agree; I think we need logic to check the ID register fields against
> their EXACT, {LOWER,HIGHER}_SAFE, etc rules regardless of whether we
> have an associated cap. That can then abort a late onlining of a CPU
> which violates those rules w.r.t. the finalised system value.
>
> I suspect that we may want to split the notion of
> safe-for-{user,kernel-guest} in the feature tables, as if nothing else
> it will force us to consider those cases separately when adding new
> stuff.

Probably. There are bizarre overlaps, in the sense that some
capabilities (such as this AArch32 EL1 support) are firmly kernel
related, and yet have a direct impact on userspace. KVM blurs the lines
in "interesting" ways... :-(.

Thanks,

	M.