Date:   Sat, 30 Nov 2019 17:14:28 -0700
From:   Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        "open list:DOCUMENTATION" <linux-doc@...r.kernel.org>,
        Jonathan Neuschäfer <j.neuschaefer@....net>
Subject: Re: [PULL] Documentation for 5.5

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 15:11:05 -0800
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> There are DOS line-endings now in some of the  patches, and I noticed
> because I got a conflict in
>
>   Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/e100.rst
>
> where your version was identical to one I had merged elsewhere, but
> had ^M at the end of the new lines.
>
> There are other examples of the same in other places.
>
> I'm not going to pull this. I have no idea what you're doing and how
> many incorrect line endings you have that just didn't happen to
> conflict.
>
> You have some *serious* tooling issues. We don't do CRLF line endings.

Hmm.

So my tooling is "git am", nothing special.

All of the afflicted files arrived in that state as the result of a pair
of patches from Jonathan (copied); I have verified that the original
patches also had the DOS line endings.

The problem repeats if I apply those patches now, even if I add an
explicit "--no-keep-cr" to the "git am" command line.  It seems like maybe
my version of git is somehow broken?  I have git-2.21.0-1.fc30.x86_64,
FWIW.

Anyway, if I revert the two offending patches and resend the pull, is that
good enough, or do you want this mess out of the history entirely?

Sorry for the trouble,

jon