Date:   Sat, 21 Dec 2019 21:41:05 +0100
From:   Andreas Färber <afaerber@...e.de>
To:     Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
Cc:     linux-realtek-soc@...ts.infradead.org, linux-leds@...r.kernel.org,
        Jacek Anaszewski <jacek.anaszewski@...il.com>,
        Dan Murphy <dmurphy@...com>,
        linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 22/25] leds: tm1826: Add combined glyph support

Pavel,

Am 21.12.19 um 21:27 schrieb Pavel Machek:
> On Thu 2019-12-12 04:39:49, Andreas Färber wrote:
>> Allow to squeeze the text "HEllO" into a 4-digit display,
>> as seen on MeLE V9 TV box.
>>
>> Enable this combining mode only if the text would overflow.
>
> "HEll,nO"!
>
> :-)
>
> Ok, it is kind of cool, but... Can you take a look at
> drivers/auxdisplay/charlcd.c ? It seems to support some kind of text
> displays...

Why don't you look at it before making such a suggestion? ;) It is in no
way useful, as I pointed out in my cover letter. The only thing related
today, as Geert pointed out, is in the input subsystem.

If you don't want this in leds, you'll have to help make leds subsystem
more useful to external users - the latest function refactoring has been
anything but helpful here, as you've seen with the indicators, and we're
completely lacking any indexing or bulk operations on the LED controller
level, since you treat each LED as a standalone device. That's precisely
why this code is here in leds although - as I pointed out - it shouldn't
belong here.

Regards,
Andreas

--