Date:   Mon, 20 Jan 2020 10:02:15 +0200
From:   Ramon Fried <rfried.dev@...il.com>
To:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:     hkallweit1@...il.com, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>,
        maz@...nel.org, lorenzo.pieralisi@....com,
        linux-pci@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: MSI irqchip configured as IRQCHIP_ONESHOT_SAFE causes spurious IRQs

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 12:47 AM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de> wrote:

> Ramon,
>
> Ramon Fried <rfried.dev@...il.com> writes:
> > On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 7:11 PM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de> wrote:
> >> The device which incorporates the MSI endpoint.
> >
> > This is not how the MSI specs describe it, so I'm confused.
> > According to spec, MSI is just an ordinary post PCIe TLP to a certain
> > memory on the root-complex.
>
> That's the message transport itself.
>
> > The only information it has whether to send an MSI or not is the
> > masked/pending register in the config space.
>
> Correct.
>
> > So, basically, back to my original question, without tinkering with
> > these bits, the device will always send the MSI's,
>
> What do you mean with 'always send'?
>
> It will send ONE message every time the device IP block raises an
> interrupt as long as it's not masked in the config space.
>
> > it's just that they will be masked on the MSI controller on the
> > host. right ?
>
> No. If you mask them on the host then you can lose interupts.
>
> Lets take an example. Network card.
>
>    Incoming packet
>    network controller raises interrupt
>    MSI endpoint sends message
>    Message raises interrupt in CPU
>
>    interrupt is serviced
>       handle_edge_irq()
>         acknowledge interrupt at the CPU level
>         call_driver_interrupt_handler()
>            fiddle_with_device()
>    return from interrupt
>
> So now if you use a threaded handler in that driver (or use force
> threading) then this looks so:
>
>    Incoming packet
>    network controller raises interrupt
>    MSI endpoint sends message
>    Message raises interrupt in CPU
>
>    interrupt is serviced
>       handle_edge_irq()
>       acknowledge interrupt at the CPU level
>       call_primary_interrupt_handler()
>           wake_irq_thread()
>   return from interrupt
>
>   run_irq_thread()
>       call_driver_interrupt_handler()
>         fiddle_with_device()
>       wait_for_next_irq();
>
> In both cases the network controller can raise another interrupt
> _before_ the intial one has been fully handled and of course the MSI
> endpoint will send a new message which triggers the pending logic in the
> edge handler or in case of a threaded handler kicks the thread to run
> another round.
>
> Now you might think that if there are tons of incoming packets then the
> network controller will raise tons of interrupts before the interrupt
> handler completes. That would be outright stupid. So what the network
> controller (assumed it is sanely designed) does is:
>
>   packet arrives
>   if (!raised_marker) {
>      raise_interrupt;
>      set raised_marker;
>   }
>
> So now the interrupt handler comes around to talk to the device and the
> processing clears the raised_marker at some point. Either by software or
> [...]
Wow Thomas, this is an amazing answer, I need to go over it few times
to see that I understand everything.
I wish we there was a way to pin this somewhere, so it won't get lost
in the mailing list archive, I think it's a very
nice explanation that should have it's wiki page or something.

Thanks,
Ramon.