Date:   Tue, 21 Jan 2020 12:30:09 -0600
From:   Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@...hat.com>
To:     Will Deacon <will@...nel.org>
Cc:     Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@...gle.com>,
        Julien Thierry <jthierry@...hat.com>,
        Nathan Chancellor <natechancellor@...il.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux ARM <linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>, raphael.gault@....com,
        Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@....com>,
        clang-built-linux <clang-built-linux@...glegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC v5 00/57] objtool: Add support for arm64

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 06:06:34PM +0000, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 09:08:29AM -0800, Nick Desaulniers wrote:

> > > Alternatively, could we add '-fno-jump-tables' to the KBUILD_CFLAGS if
> > > STACK_VALIDATION is selected but we're not using GCC? Is that sufficient
> > > to prevent generation of these things?
> >
> > Surely we wouldn't want to replace jump tables with long chains of
> > comparisons just because objtool couldn't validate jump tables without
> > a GCC plugin for aarch64 for some reason, right?  objtool validation
> > is valuable, but tying runtime performance to a GCC plugin used for
> > validation seems bad.
>
> I'm only suggesting it if STACK_VALIDATION is selected. It's off by default,
> and lives in Kconfig.debug. I'd prefer that to "cross your fingers are do
> nothing differently", which is what the other option seems to be.

I don't know what the right answer is here, but keep in mind that
objtool is on by default for x86, so don't be surprised if that
eventually happens to arch64 too.

Short term it might be ok to disable jump tables with objtool enabled,
or to disable objtool when clang is in use, but long term we'll need to
figure out a better solution.

--
Josh