Date:   Wed, 22 Jan 2020 11:27:50 +0000
From:   John Garry <john.garry@...wei.com>
To:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
CC:     Marc Zyngier <maz@...nel.org>,
        chenxiang <chenxiang66@...ilicon.com>
Subject: Re: About irq_create_affinity_masks() for a platform device driver

On 22/01/2020 10:59, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

Hi Thomas,

> John Garry <john.garry@...wei.com> writes:
>> Would there be any issue with a SCSI platform device driver referencing
>> this function?
>>
>> So I have a multi-queue platform device, and I want to spread interrupts
>> over all possible CPUs, just like we can do for PCI MSI vectors. This
>> topic was touched on in [0].
>>
>> And, if so it's ok, could we export that same symbol?
>
> I think you will need something similar to what we have in the pci/msi
> code, but that shouldn't be in your device driver. So I'd rather create
> platform infrastructure for this and export that.

That would seem the proper thing do to.

So I was doing this for legacy hw as a cheap and quick performance
boost, but I doubt how many other users there would be in future for any
new API. Also, the effort could be more than the reward and so I may
consider dropping the whole idea.

But I'll have a play with how the code could look now.

Cheers,
john