Date:   Mon, 27 Jan 2020 11:40:06 -0600
From:   Frank Rowand <frowand.list@...il.com>
To:     Brendan Higgins <brendanhiggins@...gle.com>,
        Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@...nel.org>
Cc:     Jeff Dike <jdike@...toit.com>, Richard Weinberger <richard@....at>,
        Anton Ivanov <anton.ivanov@...bridgegreys.com>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
        Shuah Khan <skhan@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Alan Maguire <alan.maguire@...cle.com>,
        Iurii Zaikin <yzaikin@...gle.com>,
        David Gow <davidgow@...gle.com>,
        Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>, rppt@...ux.ibm.com,
        Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Stephen Boyd <sboyd@...nel.org>,
        Logan Gunthorpe <logang@...tatee.com>,
        Knut Omang <knut.omang@...cle.com>,
        linux-um <linux-um@...ts.infradead.org>,
        linux-arch@...r.kernel.org,
        "open list:KERNEL SELFTEST FRAMEWORK"
        <linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org>,
        KUnit Development <kunit-dev@...glegroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [RFC v1 0/6] kunit: create a centralized executor to dispatch all
 KUnit tests

On 1/23/20 4:40 PM, Brendan Higgins wrote:
> [...]
>> placed into an ELF section. With my linker table work this would be
>> easy, I define section ranges for code describing only executable
>> routines, but it defines linker tables for when a component in the
>> kernel would define a data structure, part of which can be a callback.
>> Such data structure stuffed into an ELF section could allow dynamic
>> configuration of the dipsatching, even post boot.
>
> The linker table work does sound interesting. Do you have a link?
>
> I was thinking about dynamic dispatching, actually. I thought it would
> be handy to be able to build all tests into a single kernel and then
> run different tests on different invocations.
>
> Also, for post boot dynamic dispatching, you should check out Alan's
> debugfs patches:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kselftest/CAFd5g46657gZ36PaP8Pi999hPPgBU2Kz94nrMspS-AzGwdBF+g@mail.gmail.com/T/#m210cadbeee267e5c5a9253d83b7b7ca723d1f871
>
> They look pretty handy!
>
>> I think this is a good stepping stone forward then, and to allow
>> dynamic configuration of the dispatcher could mean eventual extensions
>> to kunit's init stuff to stuff init calls into a data structure which
>> can then allow configuration of the dispatching. One benefit that the
>> linker table work *may* be able to help here with is that it allows
>> an easy way to create kunit specific ordering, at linker time.
>> There is also an example of addressing / generalizing dynamic / run time
>> changes of ordering, by using the x86 IOMMU initialization as an
>> example case. We don't have an easy way to do this today, but if kunit
>> could benefit from such framework, it'd be another use case for
>> the linker table work. That is, the ability to easilly allow
>> dynamically modifying run time ordering of code through ELF sections.
>>
>>> In addition, by dispatching tests from a single location, we can
>>> guarantee that all KUnit tests run after late_init is complete, which
>>> was a concern during the initial KUnit patchset review (this has not
>>> been a problem in practice, but resolving with certainty is nevertheless
>>> desirable).
>>
>> Indeed, the concern is just a real semantics limitations. With the tests
>> *always* running after all subsystem init stuff, we know we'd have a
>> real full kernel ready.
>
> Yep.
>
>> It does beg the question if this means kunit is happy to not be a tool
>> to test pre basic setup stuff (terminology used in init.c, meaning prior
>> to running all init levels). I suspect this is the case.
>
> Not sure. I still haven't seen any cases where this is necessary, so I
> am not super worried about it. Regardless, I don't think this patchset
> really changes anything in that regard, we are moving from late_init
> to after late_init, so it isn't that big of a change for most use
> cases.
>
> Please share if you can think of some things that need to be tested in

I don't have a specific need for this right now.  I had not thought about
how the current kunit implementation forces all kunit tests to run at a
specific initcall level before reading this email thread.

I can see the value of being able to have some tests run at different
initcall levels to verify what functionality is available and working
at different points in the boot sequence.

But more important than early initcall levels, I do not want the
framework to prevent using or testing code and data that are marked
as '__init'.  So it is important to retain a way to invoke the tests
while __init code and data are available, if there is also a change
to generally invoke the tests later.

-Frank