Date:   Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:08:58 +0200
From:   Nikolay Aleksandrov <nikolay@...ulusnetworks.com>
To:     Horatiu Vultur <horatiu.vultur@...rochip.com>,
        "Allan W. Nielsen" <allan.nielsen@...rochip.com>
Cc:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, bridge@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
        jiri@...nulli.us, ivecera@...hat.com, davem@...emloft.net,
        roopa@...ulusnetworks.com, anirudh.venkataramanan@...el.com,
        olteanv@...il.com, jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com,
        UNGLinuxDriver@...rochip.com
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next v3 03/10] net: bridge: mrp: Add MRP interface used
 by netlink

On 26/01/2020 15:28, Horatiu Vultur wrote:
> The 01/25/2020 20:16, Allan W. Nielsen wrote:
>> On 25.01.2020 16:20, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe

>>> Maybe it would be better to extend the current bridge netlink call to
>>> be able to pass an optional interface to be flushed?  I'm not sure it
>>> is a good idea to have two APIs doing very similar things.
>> I agree.
> I would look over this.

There's already a way to flush FDBs per-port - IFLA_BRPORT_FLUSH.

>> And when looking at this again, I start to think that we should have
>> extended the existing netlink interface with new commands, instead of
>> adding a generic netlink.
> We could do also that. The main reason why I have added a new generic
> netlink was that I thought it would be clearer what commands are for MRP
> configuration. But if you think that we should go forward by extending
> existing netlink interface, that is perfectly fine for me.
>

>> /Allan

I don't mind extending the current netlink interface but the bridge already has
a huge (the largest) set of options and each time we add a new option we have
to adjust RTNL_MAX_TYPE. If you do decide to go this way maybe look into nesting
all the MRP options under one master MRP element into the bridge options, example:
[IFLA_BR_MRP]
  [IFLA_BR_MRP_X]
  [IFLA_BR_MRP_Y]

To avoid increasing the stack usage and bumping the max rtnl type too much.

Cheers,
 Nik