Date:   Wed, 26 Feb 2020 13:56:32 -0500 (EST)
From:   Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com>
To:     Chris Kennelly <ckennelly@...gle.com>
Cc:     "Joel Fernandes, Google" <joel@...lfernandes.org>,
        Paul Turner <pjt@...gle.com>,
        Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>,
        Carlos O'Donell <codonell@...hat.com>,
        libc-alpha <libc-alpha@...rceware.org>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        paulmck <paulmck@...nel.org>, Boqun Feng <boqun.feng@...il.com>,
        Brian Geffon <bgeffon@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: Rseq registration: Google tcmalloc vs glibc

----- On Feb 26, 2020, at 12:27 PM, Chris Kennelly ckennelly@...gle.com wrote:

> [...]
> <mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com> wrote:
>>
>> ----- On Feb 25, 2020, at 10:38 PM, Chris Kennelly ckennelly@...gle.com wrote:

>> > I'll make a note about this, since we can probably benefit from some
>> > more comments about the assumptions/invariants the fastpath uses.
>>
>> I suspect the integration with glibc and with dlopen'd/dlclose'd libraries will
>> not
>> behave correctly with the current tcmalloc implementation.
>>
>> Based on the tcmalloc code-base, InitFastPerCpu is only called from IsFast. As
>> long
>> as this is the only expected caller, having IsFast comparing the RseqCpuId
>> detects
>> whether glibc (or some other library) has already registered rseq for the
>> current
>> thread.
>>
>> However, if the application chooses to invoke InitFastPerCpu() directly, things
>> become
>> expected, because it invokes:
>>
>>   absl::base_internal::LowLevelCallOnce(&init_per_cpu_once, InitPerCpu);
>>
>> which AFAIU invokes InitPerCpu once after execution of the current program.
>> Which
>> does:
>>
>> static bool InitThreadPerCpu() {
>>   if (__rseq_refcount++ > 0) {
>>     return true;
>>   }
>>
>>   auto ret = syscall(__NR_rseq, &__rseq_abi, sizeof(__rseq_abi), 0,
>>                      PERCPU_RSEQ_SIGNATURE);
>>   if (ret == 0) {
>>     return true;
>>   } else {
>>     __rseq_refcount--;
>>   }
>>
>>   return false;
>> }
>>
>> static void InitPerCpu() {
>>   // Based on the results of successfully initializing the first thread, mark
>>   // init_status to initialize all subsequent threads.
>>   if (InitThreadPerCpu()) {
>>     init_status = kFastMode;
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> In a scenario where glibc has already registered Rseq, the __rseq_refcount will
>> be incremented, the __NR_rseq syscall will fail with -1, errno=EBUSY, so the
>> refcount
>> will be immediately decremented and it will return false. Therefore,
>> "init_status" will
>> never be set fo kFastMode, leaving it in kSlowMode for the entire lifetime of
>> this
>> program. That being said, even though this state can come as a surprise, it
>> seems to
>> be entirely bypassed by the fast-paths IsFast() and IsFastNoInit(), so maybe it
>> won't
>> have any observable side-effects other than leaving init_status in a state that
>> does not
>> match reality.
>
> I agree that this could potentially violate inviarants, but
> InitFastPerCpu is not intended to be called by the application.

OK, explicitly documenting this would be a good thing. In my own projects,
I prefix those symbols with double-underscores (__) to indicate that those
are not meant to be called by other means than the static inlines in the API.

There may be use-cases which justify exposing InitFastPerCpu as a public API for
applications though, especially for those which require some level of
real-time guarantees from the malloc/free APIs. I've run into this situation
with liburcu which I maintain.

>> In the other use-case where tcmalloc co-exist with a dlopened/dlclosed library,
>> but glibc
>> does not provide Rseq registration, we run into issues as well if the dlopened
>> library
>> registers rseq first for a given thread. The IsFastNoInit() expects that if Rseq
>> has been
>> observed as registered in the past for a thread, it stays registered. However,
>> if a
>> dlclosed library unregisters Rseq, we need to be prepared to re-register it. So
>> either
>> tcmalloc needs to express its use of Rseq by incrementing __rseq_refcount even
>> when Rseq
>> is registered (this would hurt the fast-path however, and I would hate to have
>> to do this),
>> or tcmalloc needs to be able to handle the fact that Rseq may be unregistered by
>> a dlclosed
>> library which was the actual owner of the Rseq registration.
>
> We have a bit of an opportunity to figure out whether this is the
> first time--from TCMalloc's perspective--a thread is doing per-CPU and
> bump the __rseq_count accordingly.  I think this could be done off of
> the fast path.

Is there an explicit tcmalloc API call that each thread need to do before starting
to use tcmalloc to allocate and free memory ? If not, you'll probably need to add
at least a load of __rseq_refcount (or some other TLS variable), test and conditional
branch on the fast-path, which is an additional cost I would ideally prefer to avoid.
Or do you have something else in mind ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

--