Date:   Fri, 28 Feb 2020 20:16:54 +0100
From:   Cezary Rojewski <cezary.rojewski@...el.com>
To:     Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
Cc:     "linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Question about enabling trave_events on module load

Hello Steven,

I bet that is not the first time said question is asked - that's for
sure - but I failed to find a method for solving the issue, that is: not
missing a single trace from the moment given module is loaded. Maybe I'm
missing something or documentation wasn't clear enough and that's why
I'm here.

If I am, please point to towards the right direction. Then you can slap
me for not reading the documentation carefully.

"trace_event=" cmdline option seems to target built-in tracepoints
_only_ so ain't much of a help to me. After digging the past for some
time, I've found a very promising thread:
	tracing: Enable tracepoints via module parameters
	https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/240185/

Sadly, I wasn't able to find _that_ solution (or anything similar for
that matter) implemented into the kernel.

So far, the only option I came with was separating traces into a
built-in piece that declares all events upfront so "trace_event=" option
has something to hook into. Said piece is of course made of a standard
trace header file filled with macro usage and a .c file with handful of
EXPORT_TRACEPOINT_SYMBOL(s).

While that solution could suffice, localization is the problem here - if
a tree my module is built in is configured via -m, the built-in piece
won't expose symbols at all and 'make' will leave me with bunch of
"ERROR: <symbol> undefined" for every module my traces were used in. To
fix the problem, I've relocated my trace .c file to /kernel/trace/.
Finally it compiles and works as intended..

Not really satisfying, though. While there are some examples of
subsystems keeping their trace .c in /kernel/trace (e.g.:
power-traces.c), I don't believe that place is open for _every single
driver_ to dump their trace sources into.

If indeed traces cannot be enabled on module load, then this is a gap.
While not everyone looked satisfied in the 9year old thread, I believe
having the gap closed is important - and userspace can always be
improved upon as time passes.

Thank you in advance for your input and time.

Czarek