Date:   Wed, 4 Mar 2020 09:51:49 +0000
From:   John Garry <john.garry@...wei.com>
To:     Luis Tanica <luis.f.tanica@...gate.com>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>, "Xu Yilun" <yilun.xu@...el.com>
CC:     "linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        "linux-fpga@...r.kernel.org" <linux-fpga@...r.kernel.org>,
        gregkh <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: LPC Bus Driver

On 03/03/2020 18:07, Luis Tanica wrote:
> Thank you all for the help. This is the gist of what I got from your responses.
>
>   - if CPLD is the only thing on LPC bus, consider creating a single driver for it
>   - if not, then creating the LPC bus layer would be ideal
>   - could also consider I2C framework and treat it like an I2C device
>
> I believe for us we'll only ever have that one CPLD on the LPC bus, so a single driver could be a good idea.
> The only reason I like regmap though, is that I could define a regmap bus that would implement all the LPC read/write operations (by implementing the .reg_read and .reg_write for regmap_bus) nd then I could use those registers as I pleased from different places.
> For instance, we could have a CPLD driver that exposes all the registers/fields via sysfs but then I could also have an arm-reset driver that only maps the register it needs for the arm reset.
>
> I actually started implementing the LPC bus, and then having 2 devices (reset and cpld) implemented as LPC devices.
> Even though it seems a bit more logical overall, it's a lot of overhead for what I need.
>
> I would like to take a look at the I2C option, since that's the only idea here I haven't explored. If you could point me in the right direction on how to do it (or some examples in the kernel) I'd appreciate.

Arnd originally gave me this idea for modelling the HiSilicon LPC driver
as an I2C host, so he may know.

 From checking drivers/i2c/busses/Kconfig, maybe I2C_CROS_EC_TUNNEL
could support LPC.

> I should be able to make a decision after that, but I'm tempted to create a single driver and keep it simple for now.
>
> P.S.: This is my first time using the mailing list and I'm guessing Outlook is not the best client to use. Any tips on that end?

Maybe this will help:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/process/email-clients.rst

I use firefox in windows, since outlook cannot be configured for kernel
posting style, AFAIK.