Date:   Thu, 12 Mar 2020 18:58:47 -0400
From:   Laura Abbott <laura@...bott.name>
To:     "Bird, Tim" <Tim.Bird@...y.com>,
        Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com>
Cc:     "ksummit-discuss@...ts.linuxfoundation.org"
        <ksummit-discuss@...ts.linuxfoundation.org>,
        "tech-board-discuss@...ts.linuxfoundation.org"
        <tech-board-discuss@...ts.linuxfoundation.org>,
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-discuss] Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
 Elections -- Change to charter

On 3/12/20 5:28 PM, Bird, Tim wrote:
> [...]

(my own opinion again)

We intentionally wanted to keep it vague to avoid having to change the
charter every time we wanted to tweak the absentee voting requirements.
This is because while everyone is in favor of absentee voting in theory
there were concerns about trying to get the numbers right.

I'd argue that the way the charter is currently written the TAB
members can really change the election on a whim. The wording "All
members shall be elected by a vote amongst all invitees of the Linux
Kernel Summit" basically says nothing about how the vote is conducted.
The TAB does run the election and the community has trusted that we
set up proctors who aren't up for election and that we are using a
voting procedure that is actually fair as opposed to, say, voting
proportional to lines of code removed last year. I don't think this
is necessarily a _good_ situation since it could be easily abused
but I also think that absentee voting falls into the same category
of trusting the TAB to not come up with some arbitrary voting method
designed to get the outcome they want.

Maybe the real question is if the community would rather see all
election procedures specified explicitly rather than just placing
trust in the TAB.

Thanks,
Laura