Date:   Wed, 1 Apr 2020 13:40:25 +0200
From:   "Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>
To:     Christian Brauner <christian.brauner@...ntu.com>,
        Adrian Reber <areber@...hat.com>
Cc:     mtk.manpages@...il.com, Andrei Vagin <avagin@...il.com>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        Eric Biederman <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
        Pavel Emelyanov <ovzxemul@...il.com>,
        Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>,
        Dmitry Safonov <0x7f454c46@...il.com>,
        Mike Rapoport <rppt@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Radostin Stoyanov <rstoyanov1@...il.com>,
        Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@...nvz.org>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Aleksa Sarai <cyphar@...har.com>,
        Linux API <linux-api@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: clone3: allow creation of time namespace with offset

On 3/25/20 12:26 PM, Christian Brauner wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 08:58:36AM +0100, Adrian Reber wrote:

>>> s/__aligned_u64/__s64/g
>>>
>>> Sorry, leftover from my first draft.

>>> I think you misunderstand me or I'm misunderstanding you. That new time
>>> namespace member would go into struct time {} so
>>>
>>> struct {
>>> 	struct {
>>> 		__s64 monotonic;
>>> 		__s64 boot;
>>> 		__s64 someothertime;
>>> 	} time;
>>>
>>> 	struct {
>>> 		/* id mapping members */
>>> 	} user;
>>> } namespaces;

So far, this seems like the least worst approach to me :-).

I think it's reasonable to assume that there will be another
time NS offset to add one day. I don't think anyone expected
CLOCK_BOOTIME (added in 2011) at the time that CLOCK_MONOTONIC
appeared (as part of the POSIX timers API in Linux 2.6.0 2003);
similarly, we probably can't conceive now what clock might be
added in the future that should also be governed by time
namespaces.

But...

>> My question was about how does the kernel know how 'struct namespaces'
>> is structured. How can an older kernel (which only is aware of two
>> clocks) deal with a, like in this example, third clock. Will the size
>> '__aligned_u64 namespaces_size' be used for versioning?
>
> Yes, that would be the idea.

The idea implied here (if I understand correctly) of "binary chop
on the structure size to see what your kernel supports" is pretty
clunky, IMO. It's worth at least considering alternatives.
For example, seccomp has a number of interesting interfaces to
discover what the running kernel supports [1]. Maybe it is worth
considering something similar for clone3()?

Cheers,

Michael

[1]
/proc/sys/kernel/seccomp/actions_avail (see seccomp(2))
SECCOMP_GET_ACTION_AVAIL (see secommp(2))
cgroups also provides something similar in the form of
/sys/kernel/cgroup/features (see cgroups(7))

--
Michael Kerrisk