Date:   Wed, 1 Apr 2020 15:34:31 +0200
From:   Miklos Szeredi <miklos@...redi.hu>
To:     Karel Zak <kzak@...hat.com>
Cc:     David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>,
        Christian Brauner <christian.brauner@...ntu.com>,
        Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>, dray@...hat.com,
        Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi@...hat.com>,
        Steven Whitehouse <swhiteho@...hat.com>,
        Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com>, Ian Kent <raven@...maw.net>,
        andres@...razel.de, keyrings@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Lennart Poettering <lennart@...ttering.net>,
        Aleksa Sarai <cyphar@...har.com>
Subject: Re: Upcoming: Notifications, FS notifications and fsinfo()

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 11:05 AM Karel Zak <kzak@...hat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:52:52PM +0100, David Howells wrote:
> > Christian Brauner <christian.brauner@...ntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > > querying all properties of a mount atomically all-at-once,
> >
> > I don't actually offer that, per se.
> >
> > Having an atomic all-at-once query for a single mount is actually quite a
> > burden on the system.  There's potentially a lot of state involved, much of
> > which you don't necessarily need.
>
> If all means "all possible attributes" than it is unnecessary, for
> example ext4 timestamps or volume uuid/label are rarely necessary.
> We usually need together (as consistent set):
>
>     source
>     mountpoint
>     FS type
>     FS root (FSINFO_ATTR_MOUNT_PATH)
>     FS options (FSINFO_ATTR_CONFIGURATION)
>     VFS attributes
>     VFS propagation flags
>     mount ID
>     parent ID
>     devno (or maj:min)

This is trivial with mountfs (reuse format of /proc/PID/mountinfo):

# cat /mnt/30/info
30 20 0:14 / /mnt rw,relatime - mountfs none rw

Attached patch applies against readfile patch.

We might want something more generic, and it won't get any simpler:

 mount.h          |    1 +
 mountfs/super.c  |   12 +++++++++++-
 proc_namespace.c |    2 +-

Thanks,
Miklos

View attachment "mountfs-info.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (1769 bytes)