Date:   Thu, 30 Apr 2020 21:10:09 +0200
From:   Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+huawei@...nel.org>
To:     Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: bug: Kbuild seems to require "make prepare-objtool" in order to
 use (some) new config vars

Em Fri, 1 May 2020 02:20:13 +0900
Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@...nel.org> escreveu:

> [...]
> >
> > Yes, I know. on my tests, I did a "make allyesconfig" before
> > the patch whose added this dependency. So, the only dependency
> > left to be enabled or disabled was this one.
> >
> > The problem I'm pointing is not really do a select recursion
> > (that would be a really cool feature, but I know it is not
> > trivial), but, instead, that, despite the config var was
> > there, when I tried to build it with:
> >
> >         make clean; make M=drivers/staging/media/atomisp
> >
> > It didn't do the right thing. Instead, it used ISP2401=y
> > on make clean and ISP2401=n at the drivers build.
> >
> > So, in order to test if patches won't break building,
> > depending on the value of this var, I'm currently doing:
> >
> >         cls;./scripts/config -d CONFIG_VIDEO_ATOMISP_ISP2401 && make prepare-objtool && make clean && make M=drivers/staging/media/atomisp && ./scripts/config -e CONFIG_VIDEO_ATOMISP_ISP2401 && make prepare-objtool && make clean && make M=drivers/staging/media/atomisp
> >
> > (note the alien "make prepare-objtool" in the middle)
> >

> > > ./scripts/config -e STAGING -e STAGING_MEDIA -e MEDIA_SUPPORT -e
> > > MEDIA_CONTROLLER -e INTEL_ATOMISP -e VIDEOBUF_VMALLOC -e VIDEO_ATOMISP
> > > -d MEDIA_SUPPORT_FILTER -e VIDEO_DEV -e VIDEO_V4L2 -e
> > > VIDEO_ATOMISP_ISP2401
> > >
> > > allows me to enable VIDEO_ATOMISP_ISP2401.
> > >

> > > It is painful to debug such complicated dependency graph, though.
> >
> > Yeah, dependencies at the media subsystem are usually quite complex.

> > > I do not know.
> > >
> > > I cannot look into it without detailed steps to reproduce it.
> >
> > I'm applying the enclosed patch to this branch:
> >
> >         https://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/experimental.git/log/?h=atomisp_v2
> >
> > and running this:
> >
> >         $ make allyesconfig 2>/dev/null >/dev/null; echo "disable";./scripts/config -d CONFIG_VIDEO_ATOMISP_ISP2401 && make M=drivers/staging/media/atomisp && ./scripts/config -e CONFIG_VIDEO_ATOMISP_ISP2401 && echo "enable" && make clean && make M=drivers/staging/media/atomisp
> >         disable
> >
> >           WARNING: Symbol version dump ./Module.symvers
> >                    is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.
> >
> >         ************ ISP2401: y ************
> >           AR      drivers/staging/media/atomisp/built-in.a
> >         ************ ISP2401: y ************
> >           MODPOST 0 modules
> >         enable
> >         ************ ISP2401:  ************
> >
> >           WARNING: Symbol version dump ./Module.symvers
> >                    is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.
> >
> >         ************ ISP2401: y ************
> >           AR      drivers/staging/media/atomisp/built-in.a
> >         ************ ISP2401: y ************
> >           MODPOST 0 modules
> >
> > PS.: the same occurs if I use "make allmodconfig".
>

> This is the expected behavior.
>
> The problem is that you immediately compile the module after
> you tweak the .config file.
>
> Kbuild does not use the .config file directly.
> Instead, it uses include/config/auto.conf.
>

> The M= builds never touch the in-kernel build artifacts,
> so it includes the stale include/config/auto.conf

I'm pretty sure that this used to work in the past.

Can't we have something similar to[1]:

	include/config/auto.conf: .config

in order to force auto.conf to be re-generated if the .config file
was modified?

[1] yeah, I know that the above won't work currently, because of the
ifdefs, but perhaps something like this could be done inside the
"if KBUILD_EXTMOD" part of the Makefile.

> After you change the .config, you must run 'make modules_prepare'
> at least.
>
> This is documented in 'make help'.
>

>   modules_prepare - Set up for building external modules

Yeah, I noticed this new target on more recent Kernels. I was not
familiar with this "new" concept of "external"[2].

Maybe the text should be changed to something like:

   modules_prepare - Should be called before using "make M=<module dir>"

To make it clearer. Yet, having to call it *every time* a
Kconfig option has changed, doesn't seem right. The
building system could be smarter and re-build auto.conf if
it is older than .config file, or, at least, emit a WARNING, if
the file is not synchronized.

[2] Not sure if this still works, but, in the past (2.x), it was
possible to setup an out-of-tree external tree with just a new
driver. Then use "make modules" to build those external OOT
modules. For historical reasons, still have at linuxtv.org
one such tree:

	 https://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/file/tip

Thanks,