Date:   Mon, 4 May 2020 05:23:17 -0600
From:   "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@...c4.com>
To:     Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:     syzbot <syzbot+0251e883fe39e7a0cb0a@...kaller.appspotmail.com>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>,
        Jiří Pírko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
        Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@...nel.org>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, kvalo@...eaurora.org,
        leon@...nel.org, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org, Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Shuah Khan <shuah@...nel.org>, syzkaller-bugs@...glegroups.com,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>, vivien.didelot@...il.com,
        Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>
Subject: Re: INFO: rcu detected stall in wg_packet_tx_worker

So in spite of this Syzkaller bug being unrelated in the end, I've
continued to think about the stacktrace a bit, and combined with some
other [potentially false alarm] bug reports I'm trying to wrap my head
around, I'm a bit a curious about ideal usage for the udp_tunnel API.

All the uses I've seen in the kernel (including wireguard) follow this pattern:

rcu_read_lock_bh();
sock = rcu_dereference(obj->sock);
udp_tunnel_xmit_skb(..., sock, ...);
rcu_read_unlock_bh();

udp_tunnel_xmit_skb calls iptunnel_xmit, which winds up in the usual
ip_local_out path, which eventually winds up calling some other
devices' ndo_xmit, or gets queued up in a qdisc. Calls to
udp_tunnel_xmit_skb aren't exactly cheap. So I wonder: is holding the
rcu lock for all that time really a good thing?

A different pattern that avoids holding the rcu lock would be:

rcu_read_lock_bh();
sock = rcu_dereference(obj->sock);
sock_hold(sock);
rcu_read_unlock_bh();
udp_tunnel_xmit_skb(..., sock, ...);
sock_put(sock);

This seems better, but I wonder if it has some drawbacks too. For
example, sock_put has some comment that warns against incrementing it
it's marginally more costly than the first pattern.

Any opinions about this?

Jason