Date:   Thu, 7 May 2020 18:29:41 -0500
From:   Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@...hat.com>
To:     Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
Cc:     Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
Subject: Re: objtool warning breaks build for fs/dlm/lock.o

On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 04:07:25PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During randconfig testing with clang-10 I came across a number
> of additional objtool warnings, I'll send another mail about those
> when I have collected more information and some object files.
>
> This one sticks out however, as objtool returns an error code that
> stops the build:

> fs/dlm/lock.o: warning: objtool: __receive_convert_reply()+0x1e5: can't find jump dest instruction at .text+0xcaa7

Thanks for sending the patch for this one.  Objtool always gets confused
by new compiler versions, I really think we need to revert

  644592d32837 ("objtool: Fail the kernel build on fatal errors")

because objtool is never going to be reliable enough such that we can be
confident that failing the build is the right thing to do.

--
Josh