Date:   Mon, 18 May 2020 13:00:31 +0200
From:   Sebastian Reichel <sre@...nel.org>
To:     "Vaittinen, Matti" <Matti.Vaittinen@...rohmeurope.com>
Cc:     "mazziesaccount@...il.com" <mazziesaccount@...il.com>,
        "alexandre.belloni@...tlin.com" <alexandre.belloni@...tlin.com>,
        "linux@...ck-us.net" <linux@...ck-us.net>,
        "wim@...ux-watchdog.org" <wim@...ux-watchdog.org>,
        "broonie@...nel.org" <broonie@...nel.org>,
        "lee.jones@...aro.org" <lee.jones@...aro.org>,
        "sboyd@...nel.org" <sboyd@...nel.org>,
        "linus.walleij@...aro.org" <linus.walleij@...aro.org>,
        "bgolaszewski@...libre.com" <bgolaszewski@...libre.com>,
        "lgirdwood@...il.com" <lgirdwood@...il.com>,
        "mturquette@...libre.com" <mturquette@...libre.com>,
        "a.zummo@...ertech.it" <a.zummo@...ertech.it>,
        "robh+dt@...nel.org" <robh+dt@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [not urgent] ROHM PMIC/Charger IC driver maintenance.

Hi,

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 07:38:25AM +0000, Vaittinen, Matti wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> In short - I consider adding myself in MAINTAINERs for the ROHM IC
> drivers I've authored. I would like to get your opinion as subsystem
> maintainers on the area where these driver belong. If you don't care -
> then no need to read further :) If you do read, then I would appreciate
> hearing about your expectations regarding reviews, ACKs etc.
>
> Longer story, I have contributed drivers for ROHM PMICs
> BD71837/BD71847/BD71850, BD70528, BD71828/BD71878 and ROHM charger IC
> BD99954. I did also refactor the linear_ranges code out of the
> regulator framework. Now I am working on with another PMIC driver
> (regulators/watchdog) which I hope to end up in upstream at autumn
> after the proper testing. There is also some pieces in regmap-irq which
> I have added.
>
> I would like to participate in reviewing work for patches to these
> drivers (and perhaps the linear_ranges) and possibly set up some test
> jobs where I can run some tests involving some of the PMICs. I hope
> this helps the community too.
>
> I would also benefit from being informed when a fix is sent to one of
> these areas as I am anyways paid to be hosting some out-of-tree
> additions to these drivers. So my git tree would benefit from getting
> the odd fixes upstream is getting. Reviewing mails would serve as a
> heads up for me.
>
> Thus I consider adding few entries to MAINTAINERs in order to be
> getting the patches for review/test. What I don't consider doing is
> integrating the patches in "official Linux" - Eg. all patches should
> still go upstream via your trees.
>
> What kind of participation would you expect/appreciate from me if I
> added myself in MAINTAINERS for these drivers I authored? Any
> objections to that? (I don't really know how MAINTAINERs entries should
> be added - and I didn't [easily] find up-to-date explanation to that).
> For where I can be of help - I believe I am technically competent for
> reviewing C-code. I am not competent for reviewing all styling details
> - and I am not too useful what comes to YAML - this syntax is still
> really alien to me. Yet I think I have some insight to things the DT
> yaml is describing (meaning ROHM HW) :)
>
> I add below the list of files / subsystem.
>
> Regulator:
> bd70528-regulator.c
> bd71828-regulator.c
> bd718x7-regulator.c
> rohm-regulator.c
> (lib/linear_ranges.c
> lib/test_linear_ranges.c?
> include/linux/linear_range.h - Who should maintain these?)
>
> Power-supply:
> bd70528-charger.c
> bd71827-power.c
> bd99954-charger.c
> bd99954-charger.h
>
> MFD:
> rohm-bd70528.c
> rohm-bd71828.c
> rohm-bd718x7.c
> include/linux/mfd/rohm-shared.h
> [...]

I suggest to just send something like this entry adapted to the ROHM
drivers:

TI BQ27XXX POWER SUPPLY DRIVER
R:      Andrew F. Davis <afd@...com>
F:      drivers/power/supply/bq27xxx_battery.c
F:      drivers/power/supply/bq27xxx_battery_i2c.c
F:      include/linux/power/bq27xxx_battery.h

It will result in get_maintainer.pl to output this:

$ ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl -f drivers/power/supply/bq27xxx_battery.c
"Andrew F. Davis" <afd@...com> (reviewer:TI BQ27XXX POWER SUPPLY DRIVER)
"Pali Rohár" <pali@...nel.org> (reviewer:NOKIA N900 POWER SUPPLY DRIVERS)
Sebastian Reichel <sre@...nel.org> (maintainer:POWER SUPPLY CLASS/SUBSYSTEM and DRIVERS)
linux-pm@...r.kernel.org (open list:POWER SUPPLY CLASS/SUBSYSTEM and DRIVERS)
linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org (open list)

For drivers with a dedicated reviewer I wait some time for their
feedback.

For the DT YAML bindings you don't need to do anything:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/e85006456d9dbae55286c67ac5263668a72f5b58.1588022228.git.joe@perches.com/

-- Sebastian

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)