Date:   Wed, 20 May 2020 18:01:56 +0200
From:   Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@...aro.org>
To:     Marek Szyprowski <m.szyprowski@...sung.com>,
        Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen@...com>,
        Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
        Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@...nel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Bad kfree of dma_parms in v5.7-rc5

Marek, Tomi, Greg

On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 17:14, Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@...aro.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 15:28, Marek Szyprowski <m.szyprowski@...sung.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ulf,
> >
> > On 20.05.2020 15:12, Ulf Hansson wrote:
> > > + Greg

> > > That seems like a good idea, in the long run.

> > > Thanks for reporting and for looking into this. I apologize for the mess!
> > >
> > > There is one case, where the above solution could be a problem (unless
> > > I am wrong). That is, s5p_mfc_configure_2port_memory() that calls
> > > s5p_mfc_alloc_memdev(), which allocates/initializes an internal struct
> > > *device. Thus, this doesn't have the dev->dma_parms
> > > allocated/assigned.
> > Indeed, this one will fail.
> > > In other words, we would need to manage alloc/free for the
> > > dev->dma_parms to have a complete fix. Maybe in
> > > s5p_mfc_configure|unconfigure_2port_memory()!?
> > That would be the best place to allocate it.
> > > Additionally, I think reverting the offending commit, as discussed
> > > above, could cause even more issues, as it's even included for
> > > v5.6-stable kernels. I will go through all cases, more carefully this
> > > time, of how ->dma_parms is managed, to be sure there are no more
> > > conflicting cases.
> >
> > I've already posted a fix for ExynosDRM driver, which is also affected:
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11559965/
>
> Alright, thanks for helping out!
>
> Please add a fixes/stable tag to it.
>
> Fixes: 9495b7e92f71 ("driver core: platform: Initialize dma_parms for
> platform devices")
> Cc: stable@...r.kernel.org

FYI:

I have now double checked all cases where ->dma_params are being
allocated/freed. Besides those you (Marek/Tomi) you have found and
sent fixes for (many thanks!)  - I haven't found any additional cases
to worry about.

However, of course there are cleanups and removal of redundant code
that can be made, for some drivers/devices, which are based upon a
platform device. For example, some have their own "struct
device_dma_parameters", such as drivers/dma/dma-axi-dmac.c for
example. This is not a problem, but deserves to be cleaned up. I have
started to prepare patches for it.

Kind regards
Uffe