Date:   Sun, 31 May 2020 14:50:55 -0400
From:   Mimi Zohar <zohar@...ux.ibm.com>
To:     Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>,
        Roberto Sassu <roberto.sassu@...wei.com>
Cc:     "linux-integrity@...r.kernel.org" <linux-integrity@...r.kernel.org>,
        Silviu Vlasceanu <Silviu.Vlasceanu@...wei.com>
Subject: Re: Oops at boot with linux-next kernel with IMA boot options

On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 09:45 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Fri, 29 May 2020 09:33:34 +0200,
> Roberto Sassu wrote:
> >
> > > From: Takashi Iwai [mailto:tiwai@...e.de]

> > > ima_template_fmt=d

> > > Tested and it didn't help.  The field was already zero-initialized via
> > > C99-style initialization, I believe.
> >
> > Found the issue.
> >
> > ima_evendigest_init() returns an error and after that IMA is not
> > initialized.  Unfortunately, ima_must_appraise() does not check
> > ima_policy_flag, so the kernel crashes when ima_match_policy()
> > tries to evaluate the policy which is not loaded (ima_rules = NULL).
> >
> > if you add at the beginning of ima_must_appraise()
> >
> > if (!ima_policy_flag)
> > 	return 0;
> >
> > the kernel should not crash.
>
> Confirmed.  The patch below fixed the Oops.
> When you cook up a proper patch with that change, feel free to put my
> tested-by tag
>   Reported-and-tested-by: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>

Thank you for finding this bug.  In this case, the "d" field has to be
limited to md5 or sha1 as the field is not large enough for other
algorithms.  Just as the IMA Kconfig and the "ima_template=" boot
command line option prevent enabling a sha256 hash with the original
"ima" template, the "ima_template_fmt=" boot command line option
similarly needs to prevent a 'd' field being defined with a larger
digest.  Failing to set the new template format should revert to using
the builtin default definition.

thanks,

Mimi