Date:   Tue, 23 Jun 2020 19:09:57 +0200
From:   Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@...chi.franken.de>
To:     David Laight <David.Laight@...LAB.COM>
Cc:     Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <marcelo.leitner@...il.com>,
        "minyard@....org" <minyard@....org>,
        Xin Long <lucien.xin@...il.com>,
        Vlad Yasevich <vyasevich@...il.com>,
        Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>,
        "linux-sctp@...r.kernel.org" <linux-sctp@...r.kernel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Strange problem with SCTP+IPv6

> On 23. Jun 2020, at 15:17, David Laight <David.Laight@...LAB.COM> wrote:

Sure, if you have an IPv6 socket, which has not enabled the IPV6ONLY
socket option.
> I don't remember ever seeing both types of address in a message,
> but may not have looked.
>
> I also wonder whether the connection should be dropped for an error
> response on a path that has never been validated.
Assuming that it is not an ERROR chunk which comes back, but an ABORT,
this should happen as long as the verification tag is OK.

> OTOH the whole 'multi-homing' part of SCTP sucks.
> The IP addresses a server needs to bind to depend on where the
> incoming connection will come from.
Not sure what this means. The application can bind a wildcard
address or a specific subset. However, when an INIT comes in,
the INIT-ACK might contain only a subset of there due to
scoping.
> A local connection may be able to use a 192.168.x.x address
> but a remote connection must not - as it may be defined locally
> at the remote system.
Yepp. Not sure what you can do about it.
> But both connections can come into the public (routable) address.
> We have to tell customers to explicitly configure the local IP
> addresses - which means the application has to know what they are.
> Fortunately these apps are pretty static - usually M3UA.
Please note that in SIGRTRAN scenarios you normally not have NATs
involved as you have usually in setups used at home.

Best regards
Michael