Date:   Tue, 23 Jun 2020 18:17:39 +0530
From:   dikshita@...eaurora.org
To:     Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas@...fresne.ca>
Cc:     Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@...all.nl>, linux-media@...r.kernel.org,
        stanimir.varbanov@...aro.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-arm-msm@...r.kernel.org, vgarodia@...eaurora.org,
        majja@...eaurora.org, jdas@...eaurora.org,
        Yunfei Dong <yunfei.dong@...iatek.com>,
        Dylan Yip <dylany@...inx.com>,
        linux-media-owner@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] METADATA design using V4l2 Request API

Hi Hans,

On 2020-06-16 18:30, dikshita@...eaurora.org wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> (Just a brainstorm, this no doubt would need some refinement)
>>
>> Or extend with a target sequence number, as we already have this
>> unique
>> number handy.
>>
>> In fact I was already thinking about extending the event with a target
>> v4l2_buffer sequence. But then I realized that if you have two
>> consecutive changes, there is still no way to ensure you can read the
>> control value matching the event you are processing.
>>
>> So this idea would conceptually mean that instead of using the
>> "request" as a control storage, we'd be using per "buffer" control
>> storage. I wonder how realistic this is in the existing framework. But
>> could be a thread to explore.
>>
>> To add to the brainstorm, we could introduce a meta type for controls.
>> Can't think of a name now, but basically we would "pop" a control
>> value. That control would contain the information needed to identify
>> the buffer it applied to (like a sequence number). Fifo would be leaky
>> at the tail, and sized around the size of the queue. This way,
>> userspace can ignore it without causing any leaks, which also allow
>> for
>> backward compatibility.
>>
>> The "pop" ioctl could be extended with the target sequence number, so
>> that you get exactly the control you are looking for (ignoring the
>> older one, and preventing the newer one from being extracted). Of
>> course, the event is needed to tel when something get queued for
>> static
>> meta.
>>

>>>  While for HDR10+
>>>
>>> No, we don't. For that you would want a metadata video device.
>>>
>>> Dynamic metadata is a separate problem. I would also really like to
>>> know
>>> a bit more about the various HW implementations for this before
>>> deciding
>>> on a specific API. E.g., can all HW pass this data to a separate DMA
>>> engine?
>>> Would it only split off dynamic metadata or just all InfoFrames?
>
> Qualcomm HW has a single DMA engine that stores both data and metadata
> buffer and
> the driver is notified by HW in a single response with both data
> buffer and metadata buffer.
> So using a request based approach for HDR10+ metadata or any dynamic
> data as well should be fine?
>
> If not, what could be the other way to achieve this?
>

>> That seems like a HW question, I'll pass. Though, in my mind, the
>> separated metadata video device are only usable if there is a 1:1
>> relationship between buffers and metadata. For other use cases, it's
>> missing a notification mechanism (like described above) to avoid
>> having
>> to introduce arbitrary (and likely bogus) latency that ensure we
>> didn't
>> proceed without the associate metadata. To I think it's not a very
>> powerful way to pass around metadata, unless it's 1:1 with the

I implemented 'read-only' request based on your recommendations.
I had to relax a few checks to make it work and also used
https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/6/21/359 as reference
for the implementation.
In addition to that, I made changes in vb2_core_queue_init() as well to
allow ro request.

In driver, I am initializing a new ro_ctrl_handler with read only
controls I want to support
and setting ro_request to true for this ctrl handler. I am also setting
supports_ro_requests to true
in driver while calling vb2_queue_init() for capture buffer.
In userspace,
    1. Waiting for capture buffer to be ready
    2. Dequeueing capture buffer, and extracting its request FD
    3. Calling VIDIOC_G_EXT_CTRLS passing the request for the dequeued
buffer.
This will internally call g_volatile_ctrl to the driver and driver will
fill the ctrl data/payload.

I have one query here when g_volatile_ctrl is called on driver,
how we will make sure that the data which driver is filling in the ctrl
is actually for the buffer which was dequeued.
for eg: driver might have called buffer done for lets say two buffers
and have metadata associated with
those two buffers with it. Now when get_ctrl is called for one of those
buffers, how will the driver know
which metadata to fill in ctrl data.
Please let me know if I am missing something here.

Thanks,
Dikshita