Date:   Tue, 7 Jul 2020 14:15:37 -0700
From:   Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
To:     Rob Herring <robh+dt@...nel.org>
Cc:     Maxime Ripard <maxime@...no.tech>, Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>,
        Russell King <linux@...linux.org.uk>,
        Frank Rowand <frowand.list@...il.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, devicetree@...r.kernel.org,
        Antoine Ténart <antoine.tenart@...tlin.com>
Subject: Re: PHY reset handling during DT parsing

On 7/7/2020 10:18 AM, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 10:39 AM Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 7/7/2020 7:54 AM, Maxime Ripard wrote:
>>> Hi Andrew,

>>> Thanks for the pointer.
>>>
>>> It looks to me from the commit log that the assumption was that a
>>> bootloader could leave the PHY into reset though?
>>>
>>> It starts with:

>>> This is exactly the case I was discussing. The bootloader hasn't used
>>> the PHY, and thus the PHY reset signal is still asserted?
>>
>> The current solution to this problem would be to have a reset property
>> specified for the MDIO bus controller node such that the reset would be
>> de-asserted during mdiobus_register() and prior to scanning the MDIO bus.
>
> Unless the reset controls all the devices on the mdio bus, the
> controller node is not the right place. The core could look into the
> child nodes, but this is just one possible property.

Both are defined and supported (with the caveat mentioned below).

>> This has the nice property that for a 1:1 mapping between MDIO bus
>> controller and device, it works (albeit maybe not being accurately
>> describing hardware), but if you have multiple MDIO/PHY devices sitting
>> on the bus, they might each have their own reset control and while we
>> would attempt to manage that reset line from that call path:
>>
>> mdiobus_scan()
>>  -> phy_device_register()
>>     -> mdiobus_register_device()
>>
>> it would be too late because there is a preceding get_phy_device() which
>> attempts to read the PHY device's OUI and it would fail if the PHY is
>> still held in reset.
>>
>> We have had a similar discussion before with regulators:
>>
>> http://archive.lwn.net:8080/devicetree/20200622093744.13685-1-brgl@...ev.pl/
>>
>> and so far we do not really have a good solution to this problem either.
>>
>> For your specific use case with resets you could do a couple of things:
>>
>> - if there is only one PHY on the MDIO bus you can describe the reset
>> line to be within the MDIO bus controller node (explained above), this
>> is not great but it is not necessarily too far from reality either
>>
>> - if you know the PHY OUI, you can put it as a compatible string in the
>> form: ethernet-phy-id%4x.%4x and that will avoid the MDIO bus layer to
>> try to read from the PHY but instead match it with a driver and create a
>> phy_device instance right away
>
> The h/w is simply not discoverable, so it needs a compatible string.

It is discoverable if you have the various resources (regulator(s),
clock(s) and reset(s) managed ahead of issuing the discovery which is
really the crux of the problem here.

>> I think we are open to a "pre probe" model where it is possible to have
>> a phy_device instance created that would allow reset controller or
>> regulator (or clocks, too) to be usable with a struct device reference,
>> yet make no HW access until all of these resources have been enabled.
>
> I think this is needed for the kernel's driver model in general. It's
> not an MDIO specific problem.

Oh absolutely not, PCI and USB have the same issue, it is not clear to
me how to tackle this yet though.
--
Florian