Date:   Sun, 12 Jul 2020 19:27:46 -0700
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>
Cc:     Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
        Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@...el.com>,
Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Jul 10

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 7:20 PM Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org> wrote:

> > Not that I am aware of at the moment.  Does next-20200709 work?  Does
> > Linus' tree work?  The only obvious thing I can think of is commit
>
> I'm hitting this same thing on 5.8-rc5. (x86_64)
>
> > 6ec4476ac825 ("Raise gcc version requirement to 4.9")
> >
> > The commmit message says:
> >
> >     Using _Generic also means that you will need to have a very recent
> >     version of 'sparse', but thats easy to build yourself, and much less of
> >     a hassle than some old gcc version can be.

Yes, you need a very recent version of sparse.

I was oging to hold off that sparse upgrade requirement for 5.9, but
we had independent reasons to just say "gcc 4.9", and at that point
the code that allowed old versions of sparse to work was entirely dead
outside of sparse.

Sparse is really easy to build and install as a regular user. Just do

    mkdir -p ~/src ; cd ~/src
    git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/devel/sparse/sparse.git
    cd sparse
    make && make install

and it will install the sparse binaries in your ~/bin directory. No
need to be root, it just works.

              Linus