Date:   Wed, 22 Jul 2020 08:30:50 +0200
From:   Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>
To:     Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>
Cc:     Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>, Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>,
        linux-arch <linux-arch@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux API <linux-api@...r.kernel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, io-uring@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: io_uring vs in_compat_syscall()

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:25:24AM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> > > I was imagining using a flag.  Some of the net code uses
> > > MSG_CMSG_COMPAT for this purpose.
> >
> > Killing that nightmarish monster is what actually got me into looking
> > io_uring and starting this thread.
>
> I agree that MSG_CMSG_COMPAT is nasty, but I think the concept is
> sound -- rather than tracking whether we're compat by using a
> different function or a per-thread variable, actually explicitly
> tracking the mode seems sensible.

I very strongly disagree.  Two recent projects I did was to remove
the compat_exec mess, and the compat get/setsockopt mess, and each
time it removed hundreds of lines of code duplicating native
functionality, often in slightly broken ways.  We need a generic
out of band way to transfer the information down and just check in
in a few strategic places, and in_compat_syscall() does the right
thing for that.

> If we're going to play in_compat_syscall() games, let's please make
> io_uring_enter() return -EINVAL if in_compat_syscall() != ctx->compat.

That sounds like a plan, but still doesn't help with submissions from
the offload WQ or the sqpoll thread.