Date:   Thu, 6 Aug 2020 08:07:43 -0700
From:   "Darrick J. Wong" <djwong@...nel.org>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     "Darrick J. Wong" <djwong@...nel.org>,
        linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-xfs@...r.kernel.org,
        david@...morbit.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        sandeen@...deen.net, hch@....de,
        linux-ext4 <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
        Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>, riteshh@...ux.ibm.com,
        rgoldwyn@...e.de, agruenba@...hat.com, linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.org
Subject: [GIT PULL v2] iomap: new code for 5.9-rc1

Hi Linus,

Please pull these new changes to the iomap code for 5.9.  The most
notable changes are:

1) iomap no longer invalidate the page cache when performing a direct
read, since doing so is unnecessary and the old directio code doesn't do
that either.

2) iomap embraced the use of returning ENOTBLK from a direct write to
trigger falling back to a buffered write since ext4 already did this and
btrfs wants it for their port.

3) iomap falls back to buffered writes if we're doing a direct write and
the page cache invalidation after the flush fails; this was necessary to
handle a corner case in the btrfs port.

4) Remove email virus scanner detritus that was accidentally included in
yesterday's pull request.  Clearly I need(ed) to update my git branch
checker scripts. :(

The branch merges cleanly with your HEAD branch as of a few minutes ago.
Please let me know if there are any strange problems.

--D

The following changes since commit dcb7fd82c75ee2d6e6f9d8cc71c52519ed52e258:

  Linux 5.8-rc4 (2020-07-05 16:20:22 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfs-linux.git tags/iomap-5.9-merge-5

for you to fetch changes up to 60263d5889e6dc5987dc51b801be4955ff2e4aa7:

  iomap: fall back to buffered writes for invalidation failures (2020-08-05 09:24:16 -0700)

New code for 5.9:
- Make sure we call ->iomap_end with a failure code if ->iomap_begin
  failed in any way; some filesystems need to try to undo things.
- Don't invalidate the page cache during direct reads since we already
  sync'd the cache with disk.
- Make direct writes fall back to the page cache if the pre-write
  cache invalidation fails.  This avoids a cache coherency problem.
- Fix some idiotic virus scanner warning bs in the previous tag.

Andreas Gruenbacher (1):
      iomap: Make sure iomap_end is called after iomap_begin

Christoph Hellwig (2):
      xfs: use ENOTBLK for direct I/O to buffered I/O fallback
      iomap: fall back to buffered writes for invalidation failures

Dave Chinner (1):
      iomap: Only invalidate page cache pages on direct IO writes

 fs/ext4/file.c       |  2 ++
 fs/gfs2/file.c       |  3 ++-
 fs/iomap/apply.c     | 13 +++++++++----
 fs/iomap/trace.h     |  1 +