Date:   Sun, 9 Aug 2020 16:52:31 +0500
From:   Ignat Insarov <kindaro@...il.com>
To:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Non-deterministically boot into dark screen with `amdgpu`

Hello!

This is an issue report. I am not familiar with the Linux kernel
development procedure, so please direct me to a more appropriate or
specialized medium if this is not the right avenue.

My laptop (Ryzen 7 Pro CPU/GPU) boots into dark screen more often than
not. Screen blackness correlates with a line in the `systemd` journal
that says `RAM width Nbits DDR4`, where N is either 128 (resulting in
dark screen) or 64 (resulting in a healthy boot). The number seems to
be chosen at random with bias towards 128. This has been going on for
a while so here is some statistics:

* 356 boots proceed far enough to  attempt mode setting.
* 82 boots set RAM width to 64 bits and presumably succeed.
* 274 boots set RAM width to 128 bits and presumably fail.

The issue is prevented with the `nomodeset` kernel option.

I reported this previously (about a year ago) on the forum of my Linux
distribution.[1] The issue still persists as of  linux 5.8.0.

The details of my graphics controller, as well as some journal
excerpts, can be seen at [1]. One thing that has changed since then is
that on failure, there now appears a null pointer dereference error. I
am attaching the log of kernel messages from the most recent failed
boot — please request more information if needed.

I appreciate any directions and advice as to how I may go about fixing
this annoyance.

[1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=248273

View attachment "kernel.log" of type "text/x-log" (58167 bytes)