Date:   Tue, 25 Aug 2020 12:32:05 -0700
From:   Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>
To:     Kyle Huey <me@...ehuey.com>
Cc:     Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
        "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
        "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@...llahan.org>,
        "Bae, Chang Seok" <chang.seok.bae@...el.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        Andi Kleen <ak@...ux.intel.com>,
        "Shankar, Ravi V" <ravi.v.shankar@...el.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        "Hansen, Dave" <dave.hansen@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] x86/cpu fsgsbase breaks TLS in 32 bit rr tracees on
 a 64 bit system

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 11:50 AM Kyle Huey <me@...ehuey.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 10:31 AM Kyle Huey <me@...ehuey.com> wrote:

> > > This is untested, but what I mean is:
> > >
> > > static int ptrace32(int req, pid_t pid, int addr, int data) {
> > >    int ret;
> > >    /* new enough kernels won't clobber r8, etc. */
> > >    asm volatile ("int $0x80" : "=a" (ret) : "a" (26 /* ptrace */), "b"
> > > (req), "c" (pid), "d" (addr), "S" (data) : "flags", "r8", "r9", "r10",
> > > "r11");
> > >    return ret;
> > > }
> > >
> > > with a handful of caveats:
> > >
> > >  - This won't compile with -fPIC, I think.  Instead you'll need to
> > > write a little bit of asm to set up and restore ebx yourself.  gcc is
> > > silly like this.
> > >
> > >  - Note that addr is an int.  You'll need to mmap(..., MAP_32BIT, ...)
> > > to get a buffer that can be pointed to with an int.
> > >
> > > The advantage is that this should work on all kernels that support
> > > 32-bit mode at all.

> > > Strictly speaking, on Linux, there is no unified concept of a task's
> > > bitness, so "set all these registers according to the target's
> > > bitness" is not well defined.  We could easily give you a
> > > PTRACE_SETREGS_X86_32, etc, though.
> >
> > In the process of responding to this I spent some time doing code
> > inspection and discovered a subtlety in the ptrace API that I was
> > previously unaware of. PTRACE_GET/SETREGS use the regset views
> > corresponding to the tracer but PTRACE_GET/SETREGSET use the regset
> > views corresponding to the tracee. This means it is possible for us
> > today to set FS/GS "the old way" with a 64 bit tracer/32 bit tracee
> > combo, as long as we use PTRACE_SETREGSET with NT_PRSTATUS instead of
> > PTRACE_SETREGS.
>
> Alright I reverted the previous changes and switched us to use
> PTRACE_SETREGSET with NT_PRSTATUS[0] and our 32 bit tests pass again.
> I assume this behavior will remain unchanged indefinitely even when
> the fs/gsbase manipulation instructions are not available since the 32
> bit user_regs_struct can't grow?

Correct.

I think it would be reasonable to add new, less erratic PTRACE_SETxyz
modes, but the old ones will stay as is.

Strictly speaking, the issue you had wasn't a ptrace change.  It was a
context switching change.  Before the change, you were programming
garbage into the tracee state, but the context switch code wasn't
capable of restoring the garbage correctly and instead happened to
restore the state you actually wanted.  With the new code, the context
switch actually worked correctly (for some value of correctly), and
the tracee crashed.  Not that this distinction really matters.