Date:   Sat, 12 Sep 2020 12:18:52 +0000
From:   Damien Le Moal <Damien.LeMoal@....com>
To:     Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>
CC:     Johannes Thumshirn <Johannes.Thumshirn@....com>,
        Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>,
        "Martin K. Petersen" <martin.petersen@...cle.com>,
        Hannes Reinecke <hare@...e.de>, Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>,
        lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: first bad commit: [5795eb443060148796beeba106e4366d7f1458a6]
 scsi: sd_zbc: emulate ZONE_APPEND commands

On 2020/09/12 17:37, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> Hi Damien,
>
> On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 02:31:55AM +0000, Damien Le Moal wrote:
>> Can you try this:
>
> sure, but it is white-space damaged:
>
> checking file drivers/scsi/sd.c
> patch: **** malformed patch at line 86: scsi_disk *sdkp)
>
> Welcome to the world of outlook and how sending patches with it never
> works. You guys might need linux.wdc.com now :-)))

Working on it :)
But it was Thunderbird, getting real plain text emails with outlook is
impossible. Corruption I think came from the copy-paste from the Mac bash
terminal... Tabs get replaced by spacers.

>> That should fix the above as well as the hang on boot with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ZONED
>> disabled (for that one I do not totally understand what is going on...).
>>
>> We do not have any host-aware disk for testing (as far as I know, nobody is
>> selling these anymore),
>
> Yeah, so Johannes said. I love it how a (relatively) brand new
> technology gets immediately deprecated :-\

Host-managed is still a thing, getting bigger. But host-aware never really
gained a lot of traction due to, I think, the potentially very weird performance
profile they can get into (Hmmm... similar to recent drive-managed noise...)

>> so our test setup is a bit lame in this area. We'll rig something up
>> with tcmu-runner emulation to add tests for these devices to avoid
>> a repeat of such problem. And we'll make sure to add a test for
>> host-aware+partitions, since we at least know for sure there is one
>> user :)
>
> Bah, I use it as a big data dump so if you say, I should make use of it
> as a proper zoned device (I've skimmed through http://zonedstorage.io/ a
> bit last night), I can try to find some time...

No worries, we will fix the mess (sorry we hit you again !).
Also, Naohiro just posted btrfs zone support v7 !! Luckily, we can get that into
5.11.

The patch was space corrupted, but could you still try it ? Did it solve your
problem ? I can recend it (minus space corruption) if needed.

Cheers.

--
Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research