Date:   Tue, 29 Sep 2020 16:19:47 +0200
From:   Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com>
To:     Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
Cc:     Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@...ux.intel.com>,
        platform-driver-x86@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Barnabás Pőcze <pobrn@...tonmail.com>
Subject: Re: Keyboard regression by intel-vbtn

Hi,

On 9/29/20 11:21 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:

<snip>

> Since the problem of wrongly reporting SW_TABLET_MODE=1 in combination
> with libinput, leads to a non-usable system. Where as OTOH many people will
> not even notice when SW_TABLET_MODE is not being reported, I believe it
> is best to move to a dmi based allow-list approach here, as we recently
> did for SW_TABLET_MODE reporting by the asus-wmi driver. Allowing:
>
> dmi chassis-types: 8 /* Portable */,  31 /* Convertible */, 32 /* Detachable */
> and the HP Stream x360 11-p000nd which has working intel-vbtn SW_TABLET_MODE
> support combined with a chassis-type of 10 /* Notebook */.
>
> I will prepare a patch for this right away.

Quick status update on this, it is taking a bit longer then
I was hoping for since I'm trying to make sure that I get
things right this time.

Checking the dmidecode-dumps database from:
https://github.com/linuxhw/DMI

It seems that a whole ton of Dell laptop models use 8 ("Portable") as
chassis-type. Most of which are NOT 2-in-1s. So the new plan is to only
put the 31 ("Convertible") and 32 ("Detachable") chassis-types on
the whitelist. I do have 1 Dell 2-in-1, a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130
with the Portable chassis-type and a working tablet-mode-sw
through intel-vbtn. So I will put that specific model on the
allow-list separately.

> Note this patch will effectively replace:
> "platform/x86: intel-vbtn: Fix SW_TABLET_MODE always reporting 1 on the HP Pavilion 11 x360"
> We will no longer need this workaround with the allow list and I believe
> that it would be better to drop that one.
>
> Andy can you drop that one from your review-andy branch please?

Regards,

Hans