Date:   Thu, 1 Oct 2020 13:32:04 -0700
From:   "Yu, Yu-cheng" <yu-cheng.yu@...el.com>
To:     Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...el.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, X86 ML <x86@...nel.org>,
        Rik van Riel <riel@...riel.com>
Cc:     Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@...rix.com>
Subject: Re: How should we handle illegal task FPU state?

On 10/1/2020 10:43 AM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> Our current handling of illegal task FPU state is currently rather
> simplistic.  We basically ignore the issue with this extable code:
>
> /*
>   * Handler for when we fail to restore a task's FPU state.  We should never get
>   * here because the FPU state of a task using the FPU (task->thread.fpu.state)
>   * should always be valid.  However, past bugs have allowed userspace to set
>   * reserved bits in the XSAVE area using PTRACE_SETREGSET or sys_rt_sigreturn().
>   * These caused XRSTOR to fail when switching to the task, leaking the FPU
>   * registers of the task previously executing on the CPU.  Mitigate this class
>   * of vulnerability by restoring from the initial state (essentially, zeroing
>   * out all the FPU registers) if we can't restore from the task's FPU state.
>   */
> __visible bool ex_handler_fprestore(const struct exception_table_entry *fixup,
>                                      struct pt_regs *regs, int trapnr,
>                                      unsigned long error_code,
>                                      unsigned long fault_addr)
> {
>          regs->ip = ex_fixup_addr(fixup);
>
>          WARN_ONCE(1, "Bad FPU state detected at %pB, reinitializing
> FPU registers.",
>                    (void *)instruction_pointer(regs));
>
>          __copy_kernel_to_fpregs(&init_fpstate, -1);
>          return true;
> }
> EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(ex_handler_fprestore);
>
> In other words, we mostly pretend that illegal FPU state can't happen,
> and, if it happens, we print a WARN and we blindly run the task with
> the wrong state.  This is at least an improvement from the previous
> code -- see
>
> commit d5c8028b4788f62b31fb79a331b3ad3e041fa366
> Author: Eric Biggers <ebiggers@...gle.com>
> Date:   Sat Sep 23 15:00:09 2017 +0200
>
>      x86/fpu: Reinitialize FPU registers if restoring FPU state fails
>
> And we have some code that tries to sanitize user state to avoid this.
>
> IMO this all made a little bit of sense when "FPU" meant literally FPU
> or at least state that was more or less just user registers.  But now
> we have this fancy "supervisor" state, and I don't think we should be
> running user code in a context with potentially corrupted or even
> potentially incorrectly re-initialized supervisor state.  This is an
> issue for SHSTK -- if an attacker can find a straightforward way to
> corrupt a target task's FPU state, then that task will run with CET
> disabled.  Whoops!
>
> The question is: what do we do about it?  We have two basic choices, I think.
>
> a) Decide that the saved FPU for a task *must* be valid at all times.
> If there's a failure to restore state, kill the task.
>
> b) Improve our failed restoration handling and maybe even
> intentionally make it possible to create illegal state to allow
> testing.
>
> (a) sounds like a nice concept, but I'm not convinced it's practical.
> For example, I'm not even convinced that the set of valid SSP values
> [...]

Before supervisor states are introduced, XRSTOR* fails because one of
the following: memory operand is invalid, xstate_header is wrong, or
fxregs_state->mxcsr is wrong.  So the code in ex_handler_fprestore() was
good.

When supervisor states are introduced for CET and PASID, XRSTORS can
fail for only one additional reason: if it effects a WRMSR of invalid
values.

If the kernel writes to the MSRs directly, there is wrmsr_safe().  If
the kernel writes to MSRs' xstates, it can check the values first.  So
this might not need a generalized handling (but I would not oppose it).
Maybe we can add a config debug option to check if any writes to those
MSR xstates are checked before being written (and print out warnings
when not)?

Thanks,
Yu-cheng